Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

damn...

Options

OK! I admit it, I should not be messing around in terminal! So before anyone else tells me that I shouldn't be messing around in terminal, I've got that part covered. I suppose I should have done more research. Essentially I installed Lucid Lynx and decided that I would look up the top ten recommended software items and try to install them. That is what I did with Karmic when I installed that about 9 months ago. Basically I have screwed up my sources list and I need to know if there is a way to fix this. When I open the update manager, this is the error code that I get.

'E:Type 'sudo' is not known on line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list, E:The list of sources could not be read.'

This is the code I entered, (yes I know I should not be entering things into terminal when I don't know what the end result is going to be. Or rather, I should not be entering things in terminal without "adult" supervision)

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

When I was using Karmic, I had rEFIt installed (I tripple booted, a task I figured out how to do on my own thank you!) and I was able to boot from a previously saved "state" of ubuntu from the grub loader. Is this still possible in Lucid? If so, how to get to this menu at boot up, and would this fix my problem? I'm not going to install anything else until I get an answer and I know these forums have a reputation of having quick response times. I thank you in advance.

Jdutch

Comments

• Jdutch101
    Options
    hey, thanks. I ended up finding out that I had made some 'additions' to my sources.list and not knowing it. Editing them out was a big help.

Thanks for your reply though. Im going to read that site you recommended.

Categories

Upcoming Training