Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

K9copy, K3B and Brasero Problems

Hey guys, I recently switched distributions, I let a guy talk me into switching from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint 9. Since the switch, I have had a lot of issues that I have mainly worked out myself. The only thing that's still giving me fits are the 3 software programs above. Using k9copy and trying to burn directly to disc, I am getting the error that I took the screenshot of. I then burned it as an iso image and saved it, then tried to use k3b and brasero to burn it that way and got errors with both of those programs. I've posted all of this on both the mint and ubuntu forums and so far nobody has been able to help me so I thought I would try here.

From k3b:

Devices

-----------------------

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S 9L08 (/dev/sr1, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P 9P55 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] [%7]

System

-----------------------

K3b Version: 1.91.0

KDE Version: 4.4.2 (KDE 4.4.2)

QT Version: 4.6.2

Kernel: 2.6.32-23-generic

Used versions

-----------------------

cdrecord: 1.1.10

cdrecord

-----------------------

scsidev: '/dev/sr1'

devname: '/dev/sr1'

scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2

Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27

Wodim version: 1.1.10

SCSI buffer size: 64512

Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device

communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.

TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

Driveropts: 'burnfree'

Device type : Removable CD-ROM

Version : 5

Response Format: 2

Capabilities :

Vendor_info : 'LITE-ON '

Identification : 'DVDRW LH-20A1S '

Revision : '9L08'

Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Current: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)

Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)

Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)

Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)

Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)

Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)

Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)

Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)

From Brasero:

Checking session consistency (brasero_burn_check_session_consistency brasero-burn.c:1741)

BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_action

BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_set_output_size_for_current_track

BraseroBurnURI stopping

BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_session_output_size

BraseroBurnURI output set (IMAGE) image = /tmp/brasero_tmp_E402FV.bin toc = none

BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_session_output_size

BraseroBurnURI called brasero_job_get_current_track

BraseroBurnURI no burn:// URI found

BraseroBurnURI stopping

BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_action

BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_set_output_size_for_current_track

BraseroLocalTrack stopping

BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_session_output_size

BraseroLocalTrack output set (IMAGE) image = /tmp/brasero_tmp_1KZ2FV.bin toc = none

BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_session_output_size

BraseroLocalTrack called brasero_job_get_current_track

BraseroLocalTrack no remote URIs

BraseroLocalTrack stopping

BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_current_track

BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_action

BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_flags

BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_fd_in

BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_set_output_size_for_current_track

BraseroChecksumImage stopping

BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_current_track

BraseroChecksumImage There is a checksum already 0

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_action

BraseroGrowisofs getting varg

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_current_track

BraseroGrowisofs got varg:

BraseroGrowisofs deactivating

BraseroGrowisofs getting varg

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_flags

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_speed

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_device

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_session_output_size

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_current_track

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_in

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_set_current_action

BraseroGrowisofs got varg:

growisofs

-use-the-force-luke=notray

-use-the-force-luke=4gms

-dvd-compat

-speed=16

-use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2246459

-use-the-force-luke=tty

-Z

/dev/sr1=/home/phil/Desktop/Spirit Of 76.iso

BraseroGrowisofs Launching command

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_out

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_in

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_get_fd_out

BraseroGrowisofs stdout: Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/phil/Desktop/Spirit Of 76.iso of=/dev/sr1 obs=32k seek=0'

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_set_dangerous

BraseroGrowisofs stderr: /dev/sr1: "Current Write Speed" is 16.4x1352KBps.

BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error

BraseroGrowisofs stderr: write failed: Input/output error

BraseroGrowisofs stderr: HUP

BraseroGrowisofs stdout: HUP

BraseroGrowisofs process finished with status 5

BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_error

BraseroGrowisofs finished with an error

BraseroGrowisofs asked to stop because of an error

error = 0

message = "no message"

BraseroGrowisofs stopping

Session error : unknown (brasero_burn_record brasero-burn.c:2842)

Thanks in advance for any help, I have been able to make a few copies of the iso image. I just don't understand why it's worked a few times and not all the time.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It looks like the communication with your cdrom may not be working correctly, it is erroring out while trying to send the data to the disk. This may be the result of a corrupt cdrom kernel module or maybe growisofs is corrupt. I recommend first reinstalling the growisofs program from another package, such as from a mirror server. If that does not help please report back and we can get additional information at that time.
  • uzzo2
    uzzo2 Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info, could you please point me in the right direction on where to get this. I did a search for it and downloaded an entire kit that included it. But I just really didn't know what to do with it since it was a compressed file.
  • mfillpot
    uzzo2 wrote:
    Thanks for the info, could you please point me in the right direction on where to get this. I did a search for it and downloaded an entire kit that included it. But I just really didn't know what to do with it since it was a compressed file.

You can use apt-get --reinstall {app name} to reinstall various applications from the packages on the servers. So to reinstall growisofs you would enter apt-get--reinstall growisofs into the terminal. If growisofs is included in a larger package then you can replace the app name with the package name.
  • uzzo2
    I tried that and got a command error.

|| ||
    phil@phil-desktop ~ $ apt-get--reinstall growisofs
    apt-get--reinstall: command not found
    phil@phil-desktop ~ $
  • uzzo2
    I actually sent an email to the K9copy folks before I posted this thread, they emailed me back today.

"Hi !

I don't know if I can help you. It seems to be a problem with wodim, the
    program used to burn the cd or dvd.
    First, you could try to reduce the burning speed. Otherwise, I can only
    suggest you to search on google, there are many posts related to this topic.

Jean-Michel"

After some searching, I did manage to read a thread from 2007 on ubuntu forums where someone was having some of these same issues. One guy replied that was the reason he used Nero for linux, I had no idea there was such a program. That's what I have installed on my XP machine and it has always done a good job for me. But I would rather find out what the problem is here. It worked fine until I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to Mint 9.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    apt-get--reinstall growisofs

BTW - you need a space after apt-get to get it to work.
    apt-get --reinstall growisofs

• mfillpot
    Sorry for the typo in the original response, I was sending it from my phone. And thanks for correcting it GoinEasy9.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Ah, I didn't look at the original code. Not seeing a space is usually the fonts fault. :)
  • uzzo2
    I'm getting a different error with that.

phil@phil-desktop ~ $ apt-get --reinstall growisofs
    E: Invalid operation growisofs
  • uzzo2
    I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with nero for linux, it's starting to look like the best option for me since nothing else seems to be working.
  • mfillpot
    After reviewing the ubuntu package repo I noticed that growisfs is included in the dvd+rw-tools package.

Have you tried:

apt-get --reinstall dvd+rw-tools
  • uzzo2
    mfillpot wrote:
    After reviewing the ubuntu package repo I noticed that growisfs is included in the dvd+rw-tools package.

Have you tried:

apt-get --reinstall dvd+rw-tools
    I actually tried reinstalling it with synaptec, so I'll try it from the terminal and see what happens. I still had the same movie saved to my desktop as an iso image. I tried taking the the fellow from k9copy advice and used k3b and slowed down the burn speed to 8x and it did fine. But then I tried running the disc to disc using k9copy and slowed the burn speed down to 8x and still got the error. So I guess if all else fails, if I can get a reliable burn from saving it as an iso image and then burning it with k3b, I'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for all the suggestions fellows, I really appreciate it, keep em coming.
  • uzzo2
    Damn, I got the same error as before, what's up with that?

phil@phil-desktop ~ $ apt-get --reinstall dvd+rw-tools
    E: Invalid operation dvd+rw-tools
    phil@phil-desktop ~ $
  • mfillpot
    Ok I was referring to an old man file I found on the internet, the --reinstall flag is no longer supported by apt-get.

I was able to get into my ubuntu installation and successfully run the command "sudo aptitude reinstall dvd+rw-tools" to force a re-installation of the package that includes growisofs.
  • uzzo2
    mfillpot wrote:
    Ok I was referring to an old man file I found on the internet, the --reinstall flag is no longer supported by apt-get.

I was able to get into my ubuntu installation and successfully run the command "sudo aptitude reinstall dvd+rw-tools" to force a re-installation of the package that includes growisofs.
    Okay, it worked that time, it doesn't look like anything was updated though. I'll try the disc to disc shrink and burn with k9 again later and see what happens.

phil@phil-desktop ~ $ sudo aptitude reinstall dvd+rw-tools
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states... Done
    The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
    dvd+rw-tools
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/159kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    Writing extended state information... Done
    (Reading database ... 154310 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace dvd+rw-tools 7.1-6 (using .../dvd+rw-tools_7.1-6_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement dvd+rw-tools ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up dvd+rw-tools (7.1-6) ...
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initializing package states... Done
  • uzzo2
    I just tried it again using k9 using the disc to disc option, I still got the error. It won't let me copy and paste it so I took a screenshot of it. Screenshot_DVD_burning_____k9copy_1.png
  • mfillpot
    Ok, the message is clear now. The input/output error is being received from the storage device. unfortunately while searching the internet I found related issues reported and confirmed (with no resolution) in ubuntu and fedora.

One attempt that has been reported to work was running your burner application under sudo rights, which represents a permissions issue. Can you please try burning a disk from your chosen app when it is started in sudo rights and reporting the output here?
  • uzzo2
    mfillpot wrote:
    Ok, the message is clear now. The input/output error is being received from the storage device. unfortunately while searching the internet I found related issues reported and confirmed (with no resolution) in ubuntu and fedora.

One attempt that has been reported to work was running your burner application under sudo rights, which represents a permissions issue. Can you please try burning a disk from your chosen app when it is started in sudo rights and reporting the output here?
    Well, at least I got different error this time doing it that way. I opened up the terminal and typed
    sudo k9copy

, it showed this error but still opened.

phil@phil-desktop ~ $ sudo k9copy
    [sudo] password for phil:
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-phil" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    phil@phil-desktop ~ $

I closed it and typed in the terminal
    gksudo k9copy

, it opened without error. Screenshot_DVD_burning_____k9copy-55e73c0ba33564767d2d4e80bd6f542d.png
  • uzzo2
    I had forgotten to slow the burn speed down on the last try so I did it over and left the terminal running. I got the same input/output error as before, I also got this in the terminal.

phil@phil-desktop ~ $ gksudo k9copy
    " /bin/sh -c /usr/bin/genisoimage -gui -v -graft-points -volid SPIRIT_OF_76 -appid k9copy -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -no-cache-inodes -udf -iso-level 1 -dvd-video /tmp/kde-root/k9copy/SPIRIT_OF_76 |/usr/bin/wodim -dao -overburn -data -v speed=8 dev=/dev/sr1 tsize=2246459s -"
  • uzzo2
    I think I may have gotten this one figured out guys, after my last post I tried burning the iso image again several times and got different errors every time. It worked just fine the other night when I slowed down the burn speed. I took the blank disc out of that drive and put it in the other drive, it burned the image with no problem. So then I took the original disc and put it in the bottom burner (the one I have been trying) to burn with the blank disc and put the blank on the top. At this point I had started suspecting a problem with my bottom burner, I took the cover off and moved the SATA cable to a different port on the MOBO. I started k9copy up and it did perfectly with the original on the bottom and the blank on the top. As soon as that finished, I put the original on top and the blank on the bottom and ran k9copy, no problem whatsoever. So, I either have a problem with the bottom burner or it may not have been making a good connection in the SATA port it was plugged into. Or, that particular SATA port is giving trouble, I'll just have to keep using it and see what happens. On to the next problem... XORG crashing.
  • mfillpot
    Due to your issue someone needs to contact the growisofs group and advise them to find a way to locate the burn issues relating to having it too fast and apply a clear message, but back on track it is good to see that it has been figured out.

Have you posted your Xorg issue on another thread yet?

Categories

Upcoming Training