Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

the forbidden question: which distro...

Options

Yes, I dare to pose the forbidden question.

Thing is, I used to use SuSE 4.x back in 1996, and since have been trying and using a whole lot of different distros, from Damn Small Linux to Arch to Ubuntu, at work or for private use.

I am getting a new Dell laptop this week. I will use it for:

- software development on the web (php, RoR, evtl. python and java)

- desktop apps (Internet surfing, emails, music listening, youtube videos, documents, etc.)

- music production (possibility arose that I could teach courses on free media production)

This are of course very conflictive usages, which actually make it impossible to choose the "right" distro.

I am tending towards ubuntu because simply put most hardware just runs. But I'm inclined towards Ubuntu Studio which would give me a multimedia studio on which I can stack my development stuff.

Or would you see any reason for not installing ubuntu studio, when I will, at least in the beginning, mostly run apache and develop in PHP and/or Ruby On Rails?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The need for full hardware support may be unnecessary based upon what is included in your new purchase. If hardware restrictions are not present then I woul recommend going with a bit more of a manual distro like slackware, arch or gentoo so you can fine tune your installed applications and easily recompile them to your specific needs to expand your development potential.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Just an FYI - I have a Dell Studio 17 and a Dell XPS13 laptop that I purchased within the last year. Both run Fedora flawlessly. Since Dell ships some laptops/desktops with Ubuntu installed, I don't think your going to find a single piece of hardware that won't be Linux compatible. IMO.
  • phonky
    phonky Posts: 2
    Options
    oh, this is very welcomed info, guys.

Categories

Upcoming Training