Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

ISPs

Are there any Linux-friendly ISPs out there? I am tired of getting ripped off for high-speed Internet ans then being told that they 'don't support Linux.'

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Linux friendly is only a phrase.

Generally for home internet access your chosen operating system makes no difference, only if you are using your computer to dial into an ISP's network should you have to rely on their support at the operating system level, such as with mobile broadband cards.

I have run Linux based operating systems and routers on Quest, Cox and Verizon's networks. Below is how I respond to their questions when I have experiencing internet connection issues.

CS Rep: Thank you for using ****, how may I help you?
    ME: The ISP based DNS server seems to be having problems resolving domain names I access. (or whatever your question is)
    CS Rep: What OS are you using?
    Me: Slackware Linux
    CS Rep: I am sorry but we cannot support Linux systems.
    Me: MY OS has no bearing on your service quality, I have confirmed through my windows xp system that the problem is universal and my Linux based tools make it easier for me to diagnose and track the problem.
    CS Rep: Since you have confirmed it in windows can you please give me more information?

Your home router/modem is the limit of their domain, if you can confirm that the issue does not exist within your computer or home network then they have no need to request anything from the OS level. If anything offer to use trace route, ping and other Linux based tools to assist them with tracking the issue.

What ISP are you with now, and what was your most recent issue that prompted this question?
  • MMcQuown
    MMcQuown Posts: 12
    Currently using Comcast, with which I have had no problems. Former ISP was Verizon, where I had to reset the modem almost every time I logged on. I don't think a lot of the people at the ISP tech support have a clue. I had a lot of problems with Earthlink. which started out well, but which seems to have gone downhill generally. Is there any service out there that seems better than any other?:angry:
  • MMcQuown
    MMcQuown Posts: 12
    There seems to be a reply missing. You cite Milpot as being right, but I don't see a comment from Milpot. I use DSL, rather than dial-up because I sometimes have to send long files or PDFs to publishers, and they don't like to wait. Anyone have any experience with satellite-driven ISPs?
  • mfillpot
    Are you unable to see my past response from over two weeks ago, prior to dixiedancer's response, ? if so I will repost it for you.

Your issue with Verizon's service may have been due to connecting directly to their modem rather than use a router or even just hardware issue with their router/modem. I currently run Verizon FIOS for my home television and internet and have had no issues with their service, they were a bit uncomfortable when I told them that I run Linux, but quickly realized that I can support myself on the client side issues.

Now dial-up connections such as what earthlink uses are a different story because in the past I have noticed some dial-up servers did not work well with non-winmodems, but since I moved to high-speed internet, compatibility issues have not been experienced.
  • genomega
    genomega Posts: 7
    I have used Earthlink for years, never had a problem. It my cost a few $ more but they are never down and never throttle.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You Linux system will sit behind your firewall/router - what it is running is irrelevant to the ISP, other than the fact that their tech support people are pretty much clueless. As for Linux, bear in mind that 98% of the routers out there are running some variety of Linux... Don't worry about it, is my opinion. I have run Linux with many ISP's, including SBC, Earthlink, AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast. It made no difference whether I was running Linux or Windows in any of those situations.
  • Thanks to all for your input. I had been using Comcast with no trouble, but then they defrauded me on a service call, so I have switched to Cavalier. Earthlink really broke down for me a few years ago; I was having constant connectivity issues with their broadband, and their outsourced Customer Service people tried hard, but couldn't seem to resolve the issues. Verizon required constant modem resets, then I went to Comcast, as cited above. At the moment, every time I log into Google mail, I get an error message, but it always open on the re-try (Cavalier).
  • mfillpot
    MMcQuown wrote:
    Thanks to all for your input. I had been using Comcast with no trouble, but then they defrauded me on a service call, so I have switched to Cavalier. Earthlink really broke down for me a few years ago; I was having constant connectivity issues with their broadband, and their outsourced Customer Service people tried hard, but couldn't seem to resolve the issues. Verizon required constant modem resets, then I went to Comcast, as cited above. At the moment, every time I log into Google mail, I get an error message, but it always open on the re-try (Cavalier).

Those all sound like issues with ISP supplied equipment, not the client OS. So that is a very good sign for Linux users.

Categories

Upcoming Training