Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ralink RT3070 not responding

Hi everybody: Newbie here with first question. I have been reading for the past 2 days trying to configure Ralink RT3070 USB\ wireless card with not much success. I am using SliTaz downloaded image in a Dell D610 Laptop after it crashed with WinXP a few days ago. The system recognizes the wireless using Hardware detection and drivers, but this is the info

retrieved:

Detected USB devices Kernel modules

=================================

802.11 n WLAN

sh: rt3070sta-firmware: unknown operand

! Missing module: rt2870sta

rt3070sta

sed: unmatched ' / '

Forgot to indicate that the Laptop has a PCI wireless card (Broadcom chip) that i assume is active.

Any help given on this matter will be deeply appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    What command or commands yielded the output that you displayed?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Maybe the OP is trying to set up a plug-in USB wireless card before disabling the pci broadcom card. Maybe giving us the output of:
    lspci | grep -i broad
    and
    lsusb | grep 802

might give us a better idea of what your working with.
  • Hi: Just went to System Tools, Hardware Detection and Drivers, entered root password and hit Discover PCI/USB Devices.

Thanks
  • Hi: at lspci | grep -i broad command I get ""02 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corp. Netxtreme BCM 5751 PCI Express
    03: Network controlle: Broadcom corp. BCM4318 (airforce One) Wireless Lan Controller 54g

There is no doubt that I need to disable the PCI adapter. Tried to do it with some guidance on the web without success.
    Thanks
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Both my Dell laptops have physical on/off switches, your's is a bit old, but, if not a switch, maybe an enable/disable in bios? I'll see what I can come up with and post back.
  • mfillpot
    I don't see why you would need to disable an adapter, I'm not a SliTaz user, but you should be able to find an option to tell your system which adapter you want to use.
  • OK guys: Enabling or disabling is not an issue any longer...I removed the Broadcom card physically. Still unable to connect to the Ralink USB adapter. At lsusb command, no usb devices seen by the computer. Device is working on Windows platform with no problem. I will keep looking for the solution here. I am sure the gurus will put me in the right track. Thanks
  • mfillpot
    linuxfever wrote:
    OK guys: Enabling or disabling is not an issue any longer...I removed the Broadcom card physically. Still unable to connect to the Ralink USB adapter. At lsusb command, no usb devices seen by the computer. Device is working on Windows platform with no problem. I will keep looking for the solution here. I am sure the gurus will put me in the right track. Thanks

It seems really weird that lsusb does not display the adapter, the only time I have seen that is when the usb port is dead. But there is another thing you can try to get information, a second or so after plugging in the usb adapter run the dmesg command, that should display the device and other information that the kernel found about the new device.
  • Try with new drivers http://ubunturt2870.pbworks.com/w/page/8928776/FrontPage. Ubuntu default drivers dont work fine, but this new driver worked for me.

linux ubuntu

Categories

Upcoming Training