Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

error while installing vlc

Options

Hi,

we have p4 box having CentOS release 4.4 (Final) 2.6.9-42.EL #1 Sat Aug 12 09:17:58 CDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.

we are unable to install vlc package. Unfortunately we can not upgrade the os/kernel

After doing "yum install vlc", it gives error

--> Running transaction check

--> Processing Dependency: libsndfile.so.1 for package: twolame

--> Processing Dependency: libsndfile.so.1(libsndfile.so.1.0) for package: twolame

--> Processing Dependency: libdvdcss >= 1.2.5 for package: libdvdread

--> Processing Dependency: libcucul.so.0 for package: vlc

--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.

--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.

---> Package libdvdcss.i386 0:1.2.10-1.el4.rf set to be updated

---> Package libsndfile.i386 0:1.0.17-1.el4.rf set to be updated

--> Running transaction check

--> Processing Dependency: libcucul.so.0 for package: vlc

--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Error: Missing Dependency: libcucul.so.0 is needed by package vlc

what needs to be done..?is it a bug?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    I use Fedora, when I see this error, I usually wait a day or so to see if the missing dependency arrives in the repo. Unfortunately, with VLC, this seems to be a common occurrence. A few weeks ago when I was updating my Fedora 12 to 13 and I had the same problem, and it fixed itself in a couple of days.

I have yet to experiment with Centos, so I can't give you definitive info about their repos, but this is what I would try if I was impatient.
    1) I'd look to see if there was a testing repo, and check if it contained the missing dependency, then download it from there.
    2) I'd check their version of bugzilla to see if the problem has already been reported, and if it has, see if a solution was offered. If not, I'd file a bug report so someone could look into it.
    3) Since VLC is usually in the multimedia non-free repos of every distro, it's probably maintained separately, so I would look into the home page of that repo to see if there is an older version that could be installed.

When dependency problems like this arise, I usually tend to wait it out, and, if the problem doesn't resolve itself in a couple of days, then, I would start investigating.

I just noticed Centos 4.4, I know Centos versions are maintained a long time, 4.4 was released in August of 2006, but now I'm wondering just how active the repo that contains VLC is.

Maybe a Centos user could help more with that info.

Categories

Upcoming Training