Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

mount/umount

:( i need to do an exercise(mount and unmount a pen-disk,floppy and a CD-ROM ) , but Linux does not have a c:\ drive or F:\drive but i'm getting confused with the command line results,i'm using ubuntu 10.04 distribution so all the divices plugged in are at /media so i write $umount /media/antonio (antonio is my pen-drive) then i write ls /media and there is any antonio dir or something but i can still see it in places window, did i do it right? even i can see it if i write fdisk -l . is that mounting an unmounting

another point , how do i identify partitions and internal devices to mount and umount them?.All i know is they are inside /dev

i hope you could helpme =)

have a nice day :laugh:

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You use the mount command to confirm what is mounted, not the ls command. just issue "sudo mount" in the command line and it will show all mounted mediums.

Also be sure to use sudo when mounting or unmounting partitions because it requires root permissions.

fdisk reads all attached disks, so it will show you mounted and unmounted mediums.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    So, Antonio, Like Matt said, be sure to execute mount and umount w/ root priveleges.

As for identifying drives and partitions ... /dev/hda is the first IDE drive, /dev/hdb is the second, etc. /dev/sda is the first scsi or sata drive, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc. CDRom drives sometimes show up as /dev/sdX where X is the letter in order in which they appear on the bus, or sometimes, depending on the bus, they can show up as /dev/sr0, etc. the partitions are numerically identified in relation to the disk. So /dev/sda1 is the first parittion on the first SATA drive, etc.

fdisk -l /dev/sda will should woul the parition table of that drive.

USB devices often end up appearing as /dev/sdX devices, too, since they are accessed on a serial bus.

If you have questions about how many drives are installed in your computer (which seems odd to me), you get that data from lshw, which willin turn show you where they appear on the busses (in order). It also include the logical name.

example:
    adam@adam-laptop:~$ sudo lshw | egrep -A11 '\-disk'
    *-disk
    description: ATA Disk
    product: FUJITSU MHW2160B
    vendor: Fujitsu
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/sda
    version: 0085
    serial: K30VT7B26SAV
    size: 149GiB (160GB)
    capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
    configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=000c7a2d

Does this answer your question?
  • thank you gomer and mfillpot ,it was a very good answer all my doubts were killed !!!
    good luck!!!
  • It would seem that for the most part your questions have been answered, but to add a little bit more to your second question:

>>another point , how do i identify partitions and internal devices to mount and umount them?
    >>.All i know is they are inside /dev

While the fdisk utility will show you the partition table to a specific device, sometimes it is simpler to type:
    $ cat /proc/partitions

In this file you will get a real-time display of all currently connected block devices and the partitions available to each. In the rarest of cases a device may not necessarily automount. You can monitor the device's connection in this file and when listed use the "sudo mount" command to mount the device to a desired path.

Note that the listings in /proc/partitions should be preceded with the /dev/ string when invoking the mount command. That is, if you see a listing of sdb1 showing up, then you would need to type:
    $ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 <destination path>

• altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    WELCOME TO LINUX!

Where you can do what you want, what ever that is, when ever you want! You can even mount the drive to itself. You can mount ISOs without downloading an extra program. YOU ARE GOD, YOU ARE ROOT! If you learn to master command line, then you can get a job pretty much anywhere. Dude WELCOME!
  • sudo mkdir /media/CD
    sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/CD
    above command will help you to mount the cd as well as the p-drive.
  • or try this

prashant@prashant-desktop:~$ sudo mount /dev/cdrom0/media/cd
    Password:
    mount: can't find /dev/cdrom0/media/cd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    prashant@prashant-desktop:~$

this is absurd but just cannot do it right.
    on files i have the following

File System
    Media
    cdrom0
    cdrom1
  • roobal
    roobal Posts: 25
    AntonioEspinosa wrote:
    how do i identify partitions and internal devices to mount and umount them?.All i know is they are inside /dev

You can check kernel messege, about 5 - 10 seconds after pluging with command dmesg | tail.

prashantkadre wrote:
    prashant@prashant-desktop:~$ sudo mount /dev/cdrom0/media/cd
    Password:
    mount: can't find /dev/cdrom0/media/cd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    prashant@prashant-desktop:~$

this is absurd but just cannot do it right.
    on files i have the following

Just try:
    sudo mount /dev/cdrom

It should automatically mounted to /media/cdrom or /media/cdrom0.

Also in some situations cd-rom is recognized as /dev/sr0.

Categories

Upcoming Training