Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Using linux with windows

Options

Hi i am not totally ready to throw away my windows os and make the switch to windows, I have heard that there are linux os operating systems that can be used with windows on the same pc. Can anyone tell me how good they are?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    johnsonman wrote:
    Hi i am not totally ready to throw away my windows os and make the switch to windows, I have heard that there are linux os operating systems that can be used with windows on the same pc. Can anyone tell me how good they are?

Every linux distribution can work alongside windows (or any other Operating System including other linux distros).

Every time you start your computer you'll get a screen where you can chose which OS to start (with a default option if you like).

If you haven't tried linux at all, at suggest you to download a LiveCD and give it a try (you don't have to touch anything at all on your computer, just boot from the CD/DVD and you'll have a full linux experience(well, keep in mind it'll be slow as it is running from the cd drive)).

You can try Ubuntu, Fedora, Opensuse or any other "user friendly" distribution if you are a newbie. Two of my friends recently decided to give Ubuntu 10.04 a try and they seem to be quite happy with it .

If you decide to install it (there is an option on the livecd), you'll have to resize your windows partition (make it smaller to get room for the linux installation) and then let the installer handle the free space that you have just created. Everything should be pretty much simple and easy.

If you need help we'll be more than glad to help you ;)

Welcome to the linux world!
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    If you are truly new to Linux and would like to experiment with it along side of windows without too much modification then I would like to recommend installing ubuntu with the wubi installer. The wubi installer installs it within your existing windows partition in it's own directory and uses the windows bootloader. This method is useful because it minimized the potential of mistakes and it can allow you to remove it as you would with any windows app if you are unhappy.
  • johnsonman
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I am going to give Ubuntu a try
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    johnsonman wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the help guys!

I am going to give Ubuntu a try

Make sure you come back and share your experience with it :)
  • El Presidente 2
    Options
    I've never tried using windows and linux together, linux has nothing to envy anyone, I have always used linux alone and sometimes with other Unix-based operating system
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    Options
    I've never tried using windows and linux together, linux has nothing to envy anyone, I have always used linux alone and sometimes with other Unix-based operating system

You probably should try and a put it on a virtual machine while on windows or vice verse. But dual booting gives you the ability to learn about boot systems for both Windows and Linux (even Mac). On top of that, gaming doesn't really work in Linux. Not until we take over the world!
  • prashantkadre
    Options
    Hi for using the LINUX on windows you just go through the following steps
    1 Install VirtualBox on windows
    2 then try to install LINUX on the VirtulaBox

Categories

Upcoming Training