Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Wireless Network problem

Options

Hi,

I just installed Linux Mint 9 on my HP Laptop and everything installed fine and it looks great but I cant seem to connect to any wireless networks. The wireless network in my house doesn't even show up like it does in Vista. I looked around the internet for help but I cant seem to figure out how to fix the problem. I found this site

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

But I dont know how to open up a terminal. Can anyone help me connect to the internet using Linux Mint 9? Again, I'm a new user so a little detail would help greatly.

Thanks

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    I use fedora, but the gnome menus should be similar. Look for "Terminal" in one of the System menus.

If you can bring up a terminal, post (copy/paste) the output of:

lspci

and

lsusb

We should be able to tell you what card you are using and point you to the correct driver.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Options
    If you do not find "terminal" in your menus, try hitting <ALT><F2> to get the run application dialog. Then enter gnome-terminal and press enter. That ought to work.

Also, you may have to use sudo before both of the commands that GoinEasy9 suggested to get all the output. When you are prompted for a password by sudo, this is the same password you used to log into the computer.

Categories

Upcoming Training