Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Programming

Hi, all!

Can anyone recommend a good programming IDE for Ubuntu (preferably one that supports several programming languages)? I'm starting to learn programming and I need a good editor and compiler (I think that's what an IDE is, right?).

Thanks!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Many developers on Linux Based Systems write their code with emacs or vi and compile it with gcc, however I am thinking that you are looking for a GUI for development, in that case a few IDEs are listed below.

KDevelop4 - C++, Qt4, Ruby and Python
    QT Creator - C++ and Qt4
    Eclipse - Java and plugins for other languages
    NetBeans - C, C++, Javascript and Ruby
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    vim + gcc !!!
  • I really like Notepad++. It's not really an IDE (It has no compiler) but it'll help you format your code to make it easy to read for many different languages, and I think you can even turn on code completion as well.

You'd probably be better off with one of the IDE's mentioned above to write the bulk of your code, but Notepad++ is great for quick edits and such.
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I know a lot of people who use Eclipse, an IDE with plugins for a large variety of programming languages and version control systems. You might also want to check out Anjuta and Geany if you want more lightweight alternatives. GnomeFiles.org may also have some interesting suggestions.

I also agree with Marc in that learning Vim will save you loads of time in the long run. If Vim seems overcomplicated and arcane, I recommend at least checking out this page. Once you get used to the concepts of modal editing and the relationship between motions and operators, everything will start making sense :)

You might also want to check out Cream, which brings you the power of Vim while providing a graphical environment that understands standard keybindings like Ctrl-F, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V ;)
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Even though I love Vim, I must warn you it is not easy to learn at all!!! In fact, the learning curve is pretty steap. However, once you are used to the way it works you really *are faster* doing things. Imagine that I can't get away from *firefox* because of the vimperator extension which brings Vimlike functionality to the browser.

Actually, many IDEs provide sort of a "vim mode" like eclipse or QtCreator. Ain't that prove that Vim is a good way to do work?

Regards.

PS: have a look at ctags and omnicppcompletion if you wanna code with Vim :D

Categories

Upcoming Training