Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Video Converter for Ubuntu !!!

abrenar
abrenar Posts: 117

anyone can help............

This is what i want to do.

Convert any video types to .3gp so that i can download any video to my cell phone.

Thanks,

Comments

• Xipher_Zero
    Xipher_Zero Posts: 48
    abrenar wrote:
    anyone can help............

This is what i want to do.

Convert any video types to .3gp so that i can download any video to my cell phone.

Thanks,

Three good apps:

1. Avidemux2 (In the repositories if you added the Medibuntu Repo)
    2. HandbrakeGUI ( http://handbrake.fr/?article=download )

These are the two I use the most. For .3gp handbrake will give you the easiest options as it supports profiles for phones.

Cheers
  • abrenar
    Tnx Guys i will try both Apps you recommends ....

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • darkixion
    darkixion Posts: 41
    ffmpeg is a very powerful tool. I know it's a command-line app, and it's man page is huge, but you might find examples of good settings scattered around the net.

Here's an example I found immediately for 3gp encoding:
    ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -s qcif -vcodec h263 -acodec aac
    -ac 1 -ar 8000 -r 25 -ab 32 -y outputfile.3gp

• Xipher_Zero
    Also mencoder is a good choice if you don't mind using the cli. There are a lot of good examples of how to use it if you google "mencoder 3pg"

*Thom Brown* Arben is trying to encode to .3pg so he can view videos on his phone. Is h263 the correct codec for this video type?
  • darkixion
    darkixion Posts: 41
    Xipher_Zero wrote:
    Arben is trying to encode to .3pg so he can view videos on his phone. Is h263 the correct codec for this video type?

I haven't got personal experience of encoding 3gp so I haven't tested it. I only found it on a quick search, but according to the Wikipedia page, it is one of the valid formats.
  • Xipher_Zero
    If that is a good codec for that the 3gp container great! I have a friend with an older phone who asked me to help get some video's encoded to play on it...... handbrake did the job, but it's always better to know the internals of the files you are dealing with!
  • abrenar
    Sorry i didnt read your messages! because i use to forum when i am in my office, Chris thanks for solving my problem i really appreciate it.

i love to convert through cli. but i will try all of your sugestions choose what fits to me. thanks, guys

B)
  • Xipher_Zero
    Your welcome!
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Use ffmpeg for audio/video transcoding. It supports about every format known, and many not-so-known. For complex tasks it isn't easy to use, but for simple transcoding tasks it isn't difficult to use (in my opinion). It is quite simply awesome in its capability, and is used by a lot of other tools (both CLI and GUI) under the covers for audio/video conversion tasks.
  • skanaksa
    skanaksa Posts: 7
    If you want to use some UI then try VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html).
    The best command line tool I know is ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.org/)
  • woboyle wrote:
    Use ffmpeg for audio/video transcoding. It supports about every format known, and many not-so-known. For complex tasks it isn't easy to use, but for simple transcoding tasks it isn't difficult to use (in my opinion). It is quite simply awesome in its capability, and is used by a lot of other tools (both CLI and GUI) under the covers for audio/video conversion tasks.

As it stands right now the version of ffmpeg in the repositories doesn't have support compiled in for the standard audio streams in 3gp files. You will be able to decode the video stream, but not the audio and completely unable to encode the audio out....... This limitation extends to all applications which use ffmpeg in ubuntu right now for conversion (Including winff, avidemux etc.) Handbrake will work right now because they have their own custom compiled version of ffmpeg included which has support for these formats compiled in. Also barring ffmpeg as the backend, mencoder works just fine handling these files so any frontend which uses mencoder as the backend will work just fine.

I believe that this issue is only pertinent to Ubuntu and derivatives at the moment, and a custom compilation of ffmpeg will correct the issue.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I usually build my own ffmpeg with the options I want/need. You are correct in that some codecs aren't included by default, possibly because of copyright or other IP issues.
  • hi, nice to answer you, I have a good iWisoft swf to moive converter. It can convert swf to movie /avi/3gp and many other formats.
    Hope it helps you. :)

Categories

Upcoming Training