Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Simple Networking Problem

Options

Hello,

I have 2 laptops connected by a lan cable - from 1 laptop network card to the other.

the first laptop is an Asus eeePc that runs a modified version of debian.

this one is connected to the internet and i simply want the other one to connect to the internet via the lan cable.

--------------------------------------------------

the "server" has 2 connections:

1. one for connecting to the internet via a dialup mobile connection (i checked and this connection is shared)

2. the 2nd connection: "Local Area Connection" defined this way:

IP address: 192.168.0.4

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

+ it is also marked as 'shared'

that's all, no Gateway/DNS/Wins defined

the "client" (Debian 5.0 Lenny) has its own "Wired connection" defined this way:

Configuration: Static IP address

ip addreess: 192.168.0.3

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.4

my problem is that the client (192.168.0.3) cannot open web pages even if it sees just fine the server's files.

please let me know what can i do to fix this.

thanks,

Andy

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Options
    Andy, your "server" doesn't know it should also be a router. You need to enable packet forwarding in your kernel. You can do this a couple of different ways. You can put a "1" in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward, you can twiddle it using sysctl, and I think you can statically configure this in a kernel you compile.

That asie, you'll want to also enable network address translation and probably some level of packet filtering. Why don't you give the following link a readn and then come back with any more questions:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialIptablesNetworkGateway.html

Categories

Upcoming Training