Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Zorg application

It's been a long time since I have placed a post, but my question is: When I reboot, My CPU resource meter always shows at 99% with minimum fluctuations to above 76%. I open my system monitor and notice the application Zorg is hogging all my cpu resource, so I ended the process and enter my password and the OS restarts and my resource meter now shows 03%. Is having to run zorg essential?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have never heard of zorg.

Hopefully you mean xorg, but xorg should never tie down the processor like that. I known that xorg is the gui management daemon process which must always run when the gui is operational.

Does everything seem to run correctly when zorg has beet terminated?
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 Posts: 128
    You are correct, I meant 'Xorg ' and yes, everything runs smoothly when I exit Xorg. I am using the Kubuntu 10. and each time I restart my cpu usage meter goes off the hook. I can physically hear my drive revving up and down. When I exit xorg, my drive is very silent.....:)
  • mfillpot
    As I see it on my Slackware installation the Xorg process is used to start the WM, but does not stay running beyond desktop setup.

Does this process only choke the cpu when you log in, or does it run continually?
  • jhaskins75
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Out doing job searches...I checked my system monitor and it is showing ' sleeping '. Every few minutes the cpu will pop to 20% and back to zero in the %cpu column. The only time there is a high demand on my processors [ I have dual processors ] is when I shut down and restart. There is no deterioration in performance, just the annoying rise and fall of the sound of my processor fans, which after I end the process, everything is quiet and my resource meter shows and average of 2%.:unsure:
  • mfillpot
    I believe that is because xorg is testing and setting up your GUI environment on boot and saving the setting when your shutdown. A few seconds worth of high load is acceptable as long as it does not run a high load during the entire session.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I don't really understand what is the situation here :S

You mean that the CPU rises its use when you wanna reboot? That's easy to explain: a bad app that cannot close and therefore the Xorg is using a lot of CPU polling the app. Or even easier: a bug in Xorg!

Anyway, being on X requieres the use of CPU, that is for sure ;) It might mean the difference between the fans working or not ;)
  • jhaskins75
    I am inclined to accept your answer as a valid response to my question, as you are describing exactly the case. One point in question: When I restart, in the past, there would show a program still running and request a force restart, but that ceased during a recent download of available updates, as I do not receive that message any longer, but when xorg starts, the resource meter will stay at 99% and then after a few minutes, decrease to roughly 65% and fluctuate back to 99%, that is when I end the process and it automatically restarts and upon reboot, the resource meter shows a respectable 4% reading. I thought by presenting this scenario, you might know of a similar case for reference. This action does not seriously impact my performance or slow program functions, just raises a red flag for an explanation, which you have professionally provided, John..:)
  • mfillpot
    The time frame you are explaining is very abnormal. I agree with Marc, it sounds like the xorg process is hung up on another process or file.

Now to track it I have an advanced command for you to copy the output of into pastebin so we can see what files xorg is using during the abnormal process.

The entire command is:
    lsof|grep -i xorg|tr -s " "|cut -d " " -f 9|grep "/"|uniq

• jhaskins75
    Not to sure what you mean by ' pastebin ' Is that my terminal? I ran it in my terminal and no additional commands were available. This might be due to the xorg being listed as a sleep. I will have to restart to inact the scenario.:unsure: lsof|grep -i xorg|tr -s " "|cut -d " " -f 9|grep "/"|uniq
  • jhaskins75
    I used tinypic as a img file capture to show you the image:10ga0j8.jpg
  • jhaskins75
    More examples: This is what is displayed when xorg is running:v74ksn.jpg
    21juccw.jpg:huh:
  • mfillpot
    Thank you for displaying the information. You are correct about the reason why the command I gave you is not running, it is because the process is sleeping waiting for additional input.

Since it is sleeping that means it is working as it should, but the load you are experiencing is due to strain being put on your graphical display by applications, desktop enhancements and desktop effects.

What kind of video card are you using and are you using the compiz fusion items or anything else special to "pretty up" your desktop?
  • jhaskins75
    I am using the ' Screenlets Daemon '

Categories

Upcoming Training