Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Install

Hi, all!

I had a question. I installed Ubuntu on my PC using the Windows Installer found on the Ubuntu website. As far as I know, Ubuntu exists in the Windows file systems and it's on dual boot-- the computer has me choose between operating systems when I start up the computer.

Also as far as I know, the standard way to install Ubuntu is by repartitioning my hard disk and having Ubuntu live on the hard disk alongside Windows.

How can I install Ubuntu in this way, having already installed it using Windows Installer? That is, is it possible to move my Ubuntu from the Windows file systems into it's very own partition on my hard drive?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    That is a very good question because when you install ubuntu through the wubi installer is sets allocated space on the windows partition that can stop you from freeing the space necessary for the requested new partition(s).

First off, be aware that this would basically be a new installation of ubuntu.

1. Boot into your current ubuntu installation, copy all of your home and customized files onto a folder in your windows partition for you to retrieve later.
    2. remove the current ubuntu installation from windows using the add/remove programs menu.
    3. Boot into the ubuntu live CD, go to run live, then go to the partition manager (gparted) to repartition your harddrive.
    4. newer NTFS partitions (vista and windows 7) do not like to be resized, so you will have to boot into windows and run check disk a few times to stabilize the NTFS partitions.
    5. Boot into the ubuntu live disk, do a standard partition based installation in your new partitions.
    6. Boot into ubuntu, move the old ubuntu files from your windows partition into your ubuntu installation.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Be carefull with just copying the folders to your windows ppartition, as it might not preserve the file permissions if it's in a FAT partition!
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    marc wrote:
    Be carefull with just copying the folders to your windows ppartition, as it might not preserve the file permissions if it's in a FAT partition!

That is correct, NTFS partitions will not preserve the unix file permissions. If you are unsure of the permissions and want to preserve them then you can compress the files into a tar archive which you can then copy to the NTFS partition.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    tar -cf filename.tar whateveryouwant

To make a single file out of whatever you want. For example, to make a backup of your home:
    tar -cf backup.tar /home/$user

That is without compressing the files, just to add them to a single file preserving permissions. You could also compress the files with, for example, the -j or -z options

Categories

Upcoming Training