Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Redirect mysql server using /etc/hosts

Hi,

I have a PHP script that runs on my Webserver and connects to my MySQL server. So far nothing special.

But for code development I have a local copy of my script and of my database on my laptop.

But now the address of the MySQL server in my PHP script points to the wrong direction. It still points to

my Web-MySQL-Server (e.g. mysql.example.org) but my development MySQL server runs on localhost.

Of course I could simply change the PHP script and change the name of the server, but than I have to remember

to do this every time I up or download the script.

Therefor, I tried to redirect the MySQL server DNS name in the file /etc/hosts

mysql.example.org localhost

That would be no problem for me because I never connect the server directly from my laptop (only through scripts

that run on the remote Webserver).

Unfortunately this does not work and I do not understand why.

If I change the server name in the script everything works fine.

If I change the /etc/hosts file the script says it could not connect to the server.

I hope you can help me to understand what I did wrong.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

Comments

• saeed.ir
    saeed.ir Posts: 1
    hi
    please try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost:dry:
  • MichaelK
    MichaelK Posts: 20
    Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately this does not work. It still get an error from my apache that it cannot connect to mysql.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Do you have any odd rules in your firewall that may be restricting loopback access on the necessary ports?
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Did you put the IP address before the hostname? The following is the correct way to redirect mysql.example.org back the the local machine in /etc/hosts:
    127.0.0.1 mysql.example.org

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Posts: 20
    Hi,

I have to apologize. I figured out a few days ago how to redirect the mysql server and forgot to post it here.

It works exactly as jabirali wrote:
    127.0.0.1 mysql.example.org

But it seems that this does not work, when I establish a VPN connection to my university network. But I have to double check this first and it is not a really problem for me, because I nearly never connect to the university and use than the mysql server.

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry again for forgetting to post my solution.

Best regards,

Michael

Categories

Upcoming Training