Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

uninstall video drivers

Options
Toast2120
Toast2120 Posts: 4

Hi, I recently install video drivers on my Ubuntu 9.10. However, they were bad drivers, and thus do not work. How do I uninstall bad drivers or check them? I know there are many locations that they do exist but should I delete the folders? That seems like a bad idea.

Here is my xorg.conf

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

and the xorg.conf failsafe

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

The xorg.conf-backup-100512115642 is the same as xorg.conf. Drivers are obviously installed but not working.

My system is

athlon 4200

2 8800 GTS 512 SLI

2 GB RAM

Best course of action?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    Remember: use your package management system to avoid this kind of trouble!!!

How did you install the drivers? Nvidia script?

I might be wrong but... if it's an nvidia kernel, you only need to delete the nvidia modules from /lib/modules/kernelversion/whereverthedriveris
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Options
    How to proceed depend on what you want to do. If you want to try solving the problem, we need some more information, like exactly what isn't working, any errors you get and the contents of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you just want to go back to using your old drivers, you could just move your current xorg.conf to some backup location, as the version of Xorg in Ubuntu 9.10 is capable of automatically determining what drivers to use if its configuration file is missing.

I also second what Marc said about using the package management system. If you go to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers in your menu, that dialog should help you find and install the correct Nvidia drivers for your graphics card. That way, it is (1) easier to maintain your system, since if you use the installation script from nvidia.com you will have to rerun it every time there is a kernel update, and (2) it is easier to uninstall the drivers if you don't want them anymore.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    If you used the nVidia-supplied script (*.run) to install, it also has an uninstall option that will cleanly remove the driver from the system.

Categories

Upcoming Training