Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Bugs?

Hi, all! I had a question. I just recently installed the Ubuntu 10.04 distribution alongside Windows Vista on my laptop. It generally works fine, except for a couple of things I've noticed:

1. Sometimes, when I boot my computer and choose Ubuntu, sometimes the computer won't start Ubuntu. It just sits there with the default desktop background and won't load. It's not every time, just sometimes.

2. I also tend to see a screen distortion for a second when I load Ubuntu, and then it loads up and everything's fine.

3. Finally, on the top toolbar on my Ubuntu desktop, the buttons on the right-- the ones for battery, sound, e-mail, user, and shut down-- mess up. Sometimes half of one of the symbols disappears. It's basically some sort of graphics glitch, I guess.

Are these things just bugs? Can they be fixed with a patch or something?

Thanks!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Those do sound like bugs related to you video card, you can check on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ to see if other have reported the bugs or reports them. I can confirm from experience that the kernel developers for ubuntu are very proactive and should find and fix the problem if sufficient information is included in your report.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    1. Don't know why this happens without more info
    2. My 9.04 laptop does the same thing. I think it is the video driver getting initialized and momentarily putting random data on the screen. I don't think it's anything to concern yourself with.
    3. Are you using the generic video driver, or did you install a proprietary one for your video hardware? Also, what video hardware does your laptop use - Intel, nVidia, or Avi (AMD)?

Categories

Upcoming Training