Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LaTeX in Ubuntu

Options

Hi, everyone!

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem. I installed TeXMaker on my Linux operating system, and typesetting new documents works fine. However, I used a flash drive to transfer another .tex file from Windows (I used TeXnicCenter on that) and tried to QuickBuild it on TeXMaker in Linux, and it gives me a bunch of errors composed of "font not loadable", "script font undefined", and "text font undefined." My document class is "amsart" and i'm using the "amsmath" and "mathrsfs" packages.

Can anyone help me with fixing this problem?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    MATThematical wrote:
    Hi, everyone!

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem. I installed TeXMaker on my Linux operating system, and typesetting new documents works fine. However, I used a flash drive to transfer another .tex file from Windows (I used TeXnicCenter on that) and tried to QuickBuild it on TeXMaker in Linux, and it gives me a bunch of errors composed of "font not loadable", "script font undefined", and "text font undefined." My document class is "amsart" and i'm using the "amsmath" and "mathrsfs" packages.

Can anyone help me with fixing this problem?

I've never used latex but... did you make sure you have the proper fonts installed?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Have you tried removing the applied fonts and going with the system default?
  • MATThematical
    Options
    I'm a new Linux user, so I don't know about having the fonts and stuff installed or about removing the applied fonts and going with the system default. Could someone help me with doing that?
  • mfillpot
    Options
    Within your tex file you may be referencing a template file or text file to utilize, that may be the reason for the error. If the text is not included in your linux system then that would explain why you are getting the error.
  • mfillpot
    Options
    If you would be willing to show the header from the tex file then we may be able to help you locate the issue.

Also I am deleting your duplicate thread, it helps you and others more if all information is in one place.
  • MATThematical
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. The following is the Preamble of my LaTeX document. Perhaps you could spot an error?

\documentclass[12pt]{amsart}
    \newtheorem{definition}{Definition}[section]
    \newtheorem{example}[definition]{Example}
    \newtheorem{proposition}[definition]{Proposition}
    \newtheorem{lemma}[definition]{Lemma}
    \newtheorem{remark}[definition]{Remark}
    \usepackage{amsmath,mathrsfs}
    \usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}
    \newcommand{\Z}{\mathbb{Z}}
    \newcommand{\Q}{\mathbb{Q}}
    \newcommand{\R}{\mathbb{R}}
    \newcommand{\C}{\mathbb{C}}
    \newcommand{\N}{\mathbb{N}}
    \renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.25}
  • MATThematical
    Options
    Oy, sorry about that folks. The Preamble I put above should be interpreted with all of the usual backslashes for commands in LaTeX.
  • mfillpot
    Options
    There were quite a few errors, but they were mostly because I was trying to call the newcommands outside of math mode.
    I did not get any errors about font not found though.

Since this site has a problem displaying latex, You can check http://pastebin.com/k3QX7HR1 for the test latex file that started with your preamble and now exits without any errors.

Because I could not see your error,I think that the error exists within the document itself.
  • MATThematical
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I'm not getting any errors now and the LaTeX documents are building just fine, except for one thing. They build fine into a ps or dvi file, but not a PDF file. The PDF file, for some odd reason, isn't displaying script fonts (done by the \mathscr command). :angry:

Oh well. At least it's working for ps and dvi.
  • mfillpot
    Options
    It is good to see that the errors have ceased.

Can you please share some sample character strings used by mathscr so I can test them and hopefully provide an answer for that issue?

Categories

Upcoming Training