Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Books for C/C++ Development on Linux?

Hey everyone.

Lately I've been kind of intrigued by some of the stuff I've been hearing about Linux operating systems.

I personally have yet to install Linux on my box, but I have definitely been thinking about it.

My main interest in computers, however, is programming. So I would like an OS that I can be assured has IDE's for C/C++, and also a nice interface. Seems I'll have to buy some more books specific to Linux on C since there isn't a win api.

Any suggestions would be great.

I'll do some reading around here, but I just registered so thought some recommendations would be nice.

-Ian

Comments

• Ian Blaise
    Ian Blaise Posts: 10
    Well I've choses Fedora.
    Looks appealing!
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Nearly any distro would be sufficient for your needs since the windows managers can be used any any distro, Fedora should work fine as long as you have the necessary development packages.

Also, I am changing the thread title to better assist you in getting references from seasoned developers.
  • adnhack
    adnhack Posts: 16
    Fedora is a good option, they have pre-installed Development tools and they repositories are full of other cool tools and alternativily you can download the "Mono Framework" it's useful for C/C++ and .NEt development. I hope this can help you
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I've been using Fedora for a year now, and, if you have questions, please ask. I have many links bookmarked that can help solve a myriad of problems. If you haven't noticed, we have a Fedora subsection to the forums, even the simplest of questions will help build up a knowledge base there, so, don't hesitate to ask.

Tom
  • Ian Blaise
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm liking Fedora a lot more than windows vista.

As of right now I'm resizing my partitions so I have more space on my linux system.
    So far everything's been going pretty smooth, just having some trouble with flash player.

I've tried re-installing it, and it says it's already installed, but I can't view videos on youtube or any flash files for that matter.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I've been doing Linux software development, mostly in C++ (except for kernel work), for some time now (about 10 years). The GNU compilers are very compliant with ISO C++ standards (much more so than Windows compilers), and work well on every Linux distribution - I build code for x86 (32 and 64-bit), ARM, and PPC workstations, servers, and embedded boards. Get any decent set of C++ books and you should not have many issues working in a Linux environment. If you are not comfortable with a command-line build environment using Makefiles, then there are a number of IDE's available such as Eclipse, Code Blocks, etc.
  • Ian Blaise
    I use Code::Blocks with MinGW on windows operating systems instead of VSC++ so I'm familiar with it.
    I went to the site to download it not too long ago, and it doesn't look like they have one for Fedora.

Can you just compile it from source and have it work for any linux-based operating system?
    If so, how do you compile from source without an IDE already installed?
  • mfillpot
    Which application are you looking to install on Fedora from source?
  • Ian Blaise
    I have been trying to install KOffice, also Code::Blocks.
    Instead of using code blocks im now using NetBeans, however, I would still like to use KOffice.
  • Ian Blaise
    Sorry for the double post, but how can I get C++ working on NetBeans?
    I installed the plugin for C++ on the NetBeans plugin installer, and it wont even compile with the basic headers.
    #include <stdlib.h> <-- Error

/*
     */
    int main(int argc, char** argv) {

return (EXIT_SUCCESS); <--- Error
    }

Do I need to point to where my libraries are? Or is there another thing that I need to download for it to work?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Ian Blaise wrote:
    Sorry for the double post, but how can I get C++ working on NetBeans?
    I installed the plugin for C++ on the NetBeans plugin installer, and it wont even compile with the basic headers.
    #include <stdlib.h> <-- Error

/*
     */
    int main(int argc, char** argv) {

return (EXIT_SUCCESS); <--- Error
    }

Do I need to point to where my libraries are? Or is there another thing that I need to download for it to work?

What are the error?
  • mfillpot
    koffice isn't too hard to compile from source, but for simplicity sake you can install it via the yum package manager by typing "yun install koffice" into the terminal.

You may also be able to install the other apps via yum.
  • Ian Blaise
    The error's are just that the libaries aren't there....
    and EXIT_SUCCESS would be part of the library that it's missing.

So basically I just need to know what i need to get to get C++ Fully working with net beans; Other than the plugins.

And thanks for the info on KOffice, there site was saying I must compile from source.. so yeah, didn't even try the to install from terminal :D

what exactly is yum btw?
    I've used it for installing apps, but there all just from guides, so not totally sure what it's function is, or it's meaning anyways.
    [root@Ian ~]# yum install koffice
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 4445.
    Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
    The other application is: PackageKit
    Memory : 22 M RSS (316 MB VSZ)
    Started: Wed Jun 2 16:58:43 2010 - 00:06 ago
    State : Sleeping, pid: 4445
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * fedora: mirrors.xmission.com
    * rpmfusion-free: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
    * updates: mirrors.xmission.com
    Setting up Install Process
    No package koffice available.
    Nothing to do
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    yum stands for yellowdog update manager. What aptitude is to apt, yum is to rpm. It just a tool for installing, removing & updating programs.

Now...LOL...your correct, there is no koffice package in fedora. I was surprised myself. You have to use:

yum install koffice-suite or, if you want just the word processor yum install koffice-kword.

If you search for koffice in PackageKit (Add/Remove Software) you'll see that the components of koffice can be installed separately, or, you can install them all with yum install koffice-suite.
  • Ian Blaise
    Oh I see, thank ya, I'll give that a try as soon as my updates are complete (probably just like 5 mins from the time of this post)
  • mfillpot
    sorry for the late update, I do not use fedora, but know some commands and checked into https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/search/ where I did find a listing for koffice, I was unaware that it was taken apart.

Thanks again GoinEasy9 for stepping in and completing the information. ;)

By using the package manager you should be able to avoid custom compiling most applications.
  • Ian Blaise
    Already got it though :P

Still having trouble with net beans though.
    I can do Java applications but I'm only interesting in C++ :O

Javas nice, just not my thing lol
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Have you tried with
    #include "/usr/include/stdlib.h"

?
  • Ian Blaise
    Ris wrote:

Looks great, I think i'll be purchasing that sometime this week unless I can find an ebook, dont really like ebooks though.

Categories

Upcoming Training