Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

use command line to chat

hi all, i am wondering if its possible to comminucate with friends in command line. something like messenger in comand line.

many thanks

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    There are CLI based IRC, IM, and web-browsers that you can use to communicate with friends.

By the command line tools are a bit more protocol specific than the GUI tools, if you can tell use what IM service you want to you we can point you to a Linux based CLI IM client for the protocol.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    You can always use the "write" command if your friends are logged on the same system.

Anyway, I belive you are talking about a cli IM as http://ojnk.sourceforge.net/

There's plenty of them, just check the internet (maybe you'd like the pidgin cli version...)
  • Hi, there is also a program called centericq . It uses a ncurses gui and understands more than just ICQ.

Best wishes,

Michael
  • ford
    ford Posts: 24
    I've used centerim(centericq), cabber, bsflite, irssi, and naim. All were good programs.
  • Guzanof
    Guzanof Posts: 14
    Use mcabber or ekg2 to talk via xmpp.
  • micq, irssi
  • adnhack
    adnhack Posts: 16
    Just download Lynx, it's a web browser for the command line and after that download cmus, is a media player for the command line, and install the IRC client for the command line, now you can do a lot things in the command line, I really like it (except for the web browser, it's not so cool, you need images)

Hope this help
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I recommend using Irssi for good, old fashioned IRC, and then use BitlBee to translate all other chat protocols into IRC. The protocols currently supported by BitlBee are MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM and XMPP/Jabber - the latter includes Facebook Chat and Google Talk.
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    adnhack wrote:
    I really like it (except for the web browser, it's not so cool, you need images)
    The Linux console has support for graphics through a kernel interface called the framebuffer, and you can have mouse support in the console (great for copy/paste) by installing a daemon called GPM. You should then check out the web browser Links 2, which uses these interfaces to let you browse the web from the Linux console with support for graphical images and mouse interaction.

If you like working in the console, you should also check out mplayer (support for framebuffer video playback), dvtm (an amazing terminal window manager) and fbida (framebuffer image viewer).
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    jabirali wrote:
    I recommend using Irssi for good, old fashioned IRC, and then use BitlBee to translate all other chat protocols into IRC. The protocols currently supported by BitlBee are MSN, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM and XMPP/Jabber - the latter includes Facebook Chat and Google Talk.

I used that for some time. To even go further you can combine all that with the use of Screen :)
  • adnhack
    Hey dude, thanks for the info. I'm downloading the files :D

Thanks
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    If you've pidgin installed and you'd like to send message from the command line you can use libpurple library, if you've installed pidgin purple is a dependency. For example I use it to change my status line on all my accounts by using a command line python script (executed by cron)
  • adnhack
    I use the CenterIM (before was centeriq) and it's great
  • Bhaskarg
    Bhaskarg Posts: 1

There used to be a command called "talk", not sure if it is still there.

Categories

Upcoming Training