Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

apps

hey my computer is pretty old and i don't have internet for it yet. i was wondering if someone could explain a way for me to download the apps onto a formatted flash drive and then upload them onto my puppy linux computer. any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

Joe

Comments

• jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I have never used Puppy before, but according to the documentation on puppylinux.com, it sounds like you can just download a .pet-file from this location, save it to your flashdrive, mount the flashdrive in Puppy linux and double-click the file.

[edit]
    That link would provide just the .pet-files without any description of what the applications do. Check out this page to browse the .pet-files with their application descriptions.
  • bllueskull
    bllueskull Posts: 22
    thanks jabir, but do i have to put any kind of command for installing the flashdrive to the computer?
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Many modern distributions mount it automatically; check in the folder /media to see if anything pops up when you connect the flashdrive.

If it doesn't, you would have to mount it manually. After connecting your USB flashdrive, the following command should return the name of the device you want to mount:
    ls /dev/sd*|tail -1

Let's say it returned /dev/sdg1. In that case, you should run something like this to create the directory /mnt/usb and mount the flashdrive there:
    mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sdg1 /mnt/usb

• bllueskull
    jabirali wrote:
    mkdir
    so what does this do? does it vary for every distro?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    bllueskull wrote:
    jabirali wrote:
    mkdir

mkdir is used to make a new directory, this is a universal command used in every Linux distro and in windows.
  • bllueskull
    cool thanks i'm at school so i can't really do anything. dude i need to learn how to bypass this Fing filter!!!
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    bllueskull wrote:
    jabirali wrote:
    mkdir

mkdir is part of the GNU coreutils. I could dare to say that any linux distro has them. It stands for "make directory" and it is used for that ;)

Most comercial Unix also have "mkdir" although probably works exactly the same way as the GNU one even though it's implementation is probably a bit diferent.

If you wanna know what a command does:
    man command

and if you wanna search for command to do something:
    apropos whateveryouarelookingfor

• bllueskull
    thanks i'll look up whateveryouarelookingfor and see what comes up just for laughs and giggles. or is that not a good idea?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    bllueskull wrote:
    thanks i'll look up whateveryouarelookingfor and see what comes up just for laughs and giggles. or is that not a good idea?

I already gave it a try and, obviously, gave no return ;)
    apropos directory

Check that out ;)
  • bllueskull
    cool i'll do that.

Categories

Upcoming Training