Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux Scheduler...

hello guys, im new on the forum and im searching for what kind of scheduler the last kernel of linux uses?? i searched a lot and dont found a specific answer for this, some say CFS, other CFQ and some BFS, and im a bit confused any1 can give me the answer or maybe a tip of where i can found it??

vry thx.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I think it really depends on who is compiling the kernel. I've read debates in irc channels as to which one is better, and I've read where different folks use the one they prefer. Sorry, but I'm not someone who rolls his own kernels, and I don't know which one comes by default in the vanilla kernel.
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I believe the default in the upstream kernels is CFQ, but like Goineasy9 pointed out, whoever compiles the kernel is free to choose between several available schedulers. This means that the default kernel for your distribution might be using a different scheduler, and many distributions also offer alternative kernels (sometimes with other schedulers) in their software repositories.

If your kernel supports showing its configuration options at runtime, you can use this command to figure out what scheduler your current kernel uses:
    zcat /proc/config.gz|grep DEFAULT_IOSCHED

• thx for the fast replies guys, i will try this command and will search more about CFQ...

ty again ^^
  • hi again hehehhehe, Jabir did the code that u posted is correct? :blink: i tried it and ddnt work :(

ty
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    The command is correct, but re-read my original post:
    If your kernel supports showing its configuration options at runtime, you can use this command to figure out what scheduler your current kernel uses

Many distributions remove support for viewing the kernel configuration in /proc/config.gz, making the command fail. Some distributions include a copy of the configuration file in other places though, e.g. in Ubuntu the file is placed in /boot/config-version, so you might try the following command instead:
    cat /boot/config-*|grep DEFAULT_IOSCHED

• o/ my fault hehehehh sry man, i will try this one because im really using Ubuntu ^^.... thx again...
  • here im again :pinch: heheheheh what about the CPU Scheduler, i found I/O one but i need to investigate the Cpu scheduler in Linux, any command that i can use to get the CPU one??

ty

Categories

Upcoming Training