Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

ntfs "disc check" on linux, disc cant load on win#

Hey people, i'm kinda new here,so please be nice.

my pc was "broken" into...

4.5 tera went bye bye!

managed to get 3.5 tera kinda runin (allot of corrupted data,beginning no end.. vice versa {pretty funny} )

what i want to do is to REALLY mount my external "seagate freeagent hd 1 tera,and do a disc-check.

i'm baffled by the terminal with the use of third party software(and even without, dos was easy...this is nutz!).

how do i do it?

in win7 when i hook it up, well it crashes,format via "cmd" does nothing for 12 hours... and i cant even touch it in the admin tools.

i just want my baby back,please lend a hand.

cheers, thanks!

Comments

• jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I'm afraid Linux rarely comes with NTFS recovery tools installed, but some googling revealed that there is one available called TestDisk. If you tell us what Linux distribution you are using, we could help you get it installed. There's a guide explaining how to use TestDisk here.

If that is unsuccessful, you might want to check out a process called "data carving", where you scan the entire harddrive for internal data structures and try to recover files based on that. I have personally used Foremost with success, it's a data carving tool made by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations. But I should warn you that rescuing data with data carving is a slow and painful process compared to using a tool like TestDisk, so try the alternative first.

Hope this help :)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have seen something like this before. Depending on the filesystem of the disk there may be some options already installed on your system.

If it has 1 or more ntfs partitions then you can use ntfsfix, read the man pages for more info, but a brief description is below.

DESCRIPTION
    ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS incon-
    sistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows.

You may run ntfsfix on an NTFS volume if you think it was damaged by Windows or some other way and it cannot be mounted.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Actually, there is a package "ntfsprogs" you can install that includes such tools as "ntfsfix" which can do some recovery on ntfs volumes. It may have problems with encrypted directories, though I don't really know since I haven't used it much yet and I don't have encrypted directories on my ntfs volumes.

Categories

Upcoming Training