Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

my cd rom is jammed?

so i just installed the puppy linux 5.0 onto an old old computer. i think i saved the boot up from a live-cd to my hard drive. but everytime i boot up and don't have the live-cd in it doesn't boot puppy. and when i boot with the live-cd in my cd-rom won't open. so can somebody help me. i'll be working on it for all of today and i won't be on until like four from monday-friday.

help

thanks,

Joe

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I don't fully understand the issue.

If the issues is that the CD-Rom will not open when you boot for a live cd, then that is standard behavior because the disk is mounted and must be used to continue to operate in the live environment. You will not be able to remove the disk until you end the live session.
  • bllueskull
    bllueskull Posts: 22
    well i have encountered another problem, i got the CD-rom to open after saving it to the hard drive. i was then messing around with it put in a cd with music, worked fine, and then opened a new flash drive and plugged it in. the screen went black and nothing was happening. i rebooted and kept asking me to fix "X" by typing in "xorgwizard". so i did all of that tried to get it to work and still nothing happened.
  • mfillpot
    Is puppy installed on the hard drive or is it being run from a live cd/usb?
    Was the music CD in and playing from the operating system prior to reboot?
    Did you reboot the computer by standard means or did you launch something like ctrl+alt+dlete or ctrl+alt+backspace?
  • bllueskull
    mfillpot wrote:
    Is puppy installed on the hard drive or is it being run from a live cd/usb?
    i am pretty sure i got the puppy installed onto the hard drive, but when ever i boot up i need the disk
    Was the music CD in and playing from the operating system prior to reboot?
    i don't understand what your saying
    Did you reboot the computer by standard means or did you launch something like ctrl+alt+dlete or ctrl+alt+backspace?
    for rebooting i just went to the menu and chose the power-off option
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    If you need the Puppy disk to boot, you probably don't have it installed, or not installed properly to the hard disk. Once Puppy is installed correctly to the hard disk, there is no need for the CD anymore.
  • bllueskull
    so do you know how to properly install? it because i tried it twice maybe even three times and i still need the CD.
  • mfillpot
    I can't find a good installation guide from puppy, bu the official installation guide is located at http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm
  • Goineasy9
    I just had a hard time accessing the Puppy site, but finally I found the page I was looking for. I'm giving you this link because we know you already have the CD.

http://www.puppylinux.com/cd-puppy.htm

Together with the link the mfillpot gave you, you should have all the instructions you need. Just make sure you follow all of them. I'm guessing your missing a step somewhere, or a step is failing for some reason, and that is why it's not installing properly.
  • bllueskull
    thanks for your help guys but i have one more question. i looked at the website that goineasy9 gave me and i'm not sure what the "usb vendor" and the "usb product" means. i have an old compaq with a 10 gb hard drive with a 125 RAM and its pretty damn old
  • Goineasy9
    If your installing from a CD drive, you don't need to worry about the USB vendor. Besides, I see no mention of a USB vendor on that page.
  • bllueskull
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    I see no mention of a USB vendor on that page.
    look to the right and its the drop down menu. what is that?
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    bllueskull wrote:
    When I browse the link from my computer, there is no drop down menu on the right, and searching the entire guide for "vendor" returned nothing. But like Goineasy9 said, you should not need to know anything about your USB vendor to install to your thumbdrive.
  • bllueskull
    well anyways, i have flashdrive and it was fresh out of the package and i plugged it in, and it flashed, then my screen went blank and i had to reinstall puppy again. so what should i do to make that not happen again? should i format the drive before plugging it in?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    I see no mention of a USB vendor on that page.

There are no drop-down menu's on the page that I gave you, The whole right side of the page is blank????????

Edit: I see Jabir answered first. Thanks Jabir.
  • bllueskull
    well i don't know i'm runnin a pc right now. but i swear there is 2 drop down menus that say usb vendor and usb products

Categories

Upcoming Training