Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I can't get my Netgear adapter working

I just installed Ubuntu on my girlfriend's desktop. I'm a total newbie, I don't even run Linux on my machine, this is my very first install. It works great, except that I can't get it to recognize her Netgear wireless adapter. Can you help me, please? Thanks!

Comments

• jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Do you know the model of the adapter? And can you please go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal in the menu, type the following commands into the terminal that appears, and post the output here?
    ifconfig
    lspci
    lsusb

That might provide us with some useful information about your system :)

Using a native Linux driver for your wireless adapter is usually the preferred alternative, but in the event that we should not find a suitable one, you should know that it is also possible to load the Windows driver in Linux; this page might provide more information:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I agree with Jabir, we need to know the model information to help you locate and activate the proper driver module to make the wireless adapter work. Please provide the information he requested and include the model information from the wireless adapter itself.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    jabirali wrote:
    ifconfig
    lspci
    lsusb

As he is running Ubuntu he might need to use:
    sudo ifconfig
    sudo lspci
    sudo lsusb

As well as checking if there is related information in
    sudo cat /var/log/messages
    sudo dmesg

• al75275
    al75275 Posts: 2
    It's a WNDA3100. I'll check the code thing tomorrow.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    I'm afraid that netgear has not yet produceda driver for that thing, yet. However, some folks running Ubuntu have had luck w/ NDIS wrapper, though it's a rather involved process:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=690699

Categories

Upcoming Training