Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Evolution email client port address

Options

I am trying to set up Evolution to access my gmail, but it will not connect. Gmail says I have to set my port to a number , but I have no place to do this as in outlook or windows mail.

imap.gmail.com

Use SSL: Yes

Port: 993

I am very knew to Linux...

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    Don't worry, it is not clear in evolution configuration for newbies :)

You just need to set the pop/imap server as follows:
    serverip:port

That would be all.
  • grammjr
    grammjr Posts: 35
    Options
    Where do I do this...
    debian:~# serverip:port 
    -su: serverip:port: command not found

this is what I have to do..

SETUP
    Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL: imap.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 993
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587

right now I am not smarter than a fifth grader...

Thanks,
    Jim
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Options
    [ol][li]Open Evolution, and go to Edit -> Preferences in the menu[/li][li]Delete your current account in the dialog that opens, and then click Add to start configuring a new account from scratch. Click Forward.[/li][li]Enter your full gmail address in the correct form, and click Forward.[/li][li]Make sure that ServerType is set to IMAP, Server to imap.gmail.com and Username to the first part of your gmail address (the text before the '@' ). Then set Use Secure Connection to SSL Encryption and Authentication Type to Password. Press Forward twice.[/li][li]Make sure ServerType is set to SMTP. Then set Server to smtp.gmail.com:465, click the checkbox Server requires authentication, and set Use Secure Connection to SSL Encryption. Under Authentication, set Type to Plain and Username to the first part of your gmail address (the text before the '@' ). Press Forward twice, and then Apply.[/li][/ol]
    Note that contrary to the GMail instructions, you have to use the alternative SSL Encryption and not TLS Encryption for SMTP.

Hope this helps :)
  • grammjr
    grammjr Posts: 35
    Options
    Jabir,
    Very GOOD! It works.
    Thanks
    Jim
  • Sakralarab
    Options
    Hello
    I recommend you to use Kmail instead of Evolution , it is very nice tool , without any bugs

1441512134.jpg

Thanks
    Sakralarab
    My blog

Categories

Upcoming Training