Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Sofware Substitutions and Wine

I am about to buy a new laptop, and would like to run linux (I have not decided on a distribution yet), provided I can find either substitutions for these essential programs for me or can run them fluidly on wine.

Office 2007 (I personally hate open office, so I would like to be able to run the actual office from linux)

Lightroom (I need a program that can handle RAW images and allow me to quickly edit a large number of photos, aka, not GIMP)

Itunes (I am not sold on Itunes, but I like the ease that I can get podcasts)

A Good Video Editor

A Good Photo viewer

Also, I will be trying to find a way to sync this laptop with a desktop and an external hard drive. Any software suggestions for syncing the laptop with a desktop over a network would be great as well. Thanks.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    dios_et_dios wrote:
    I am about to buy a new laptop, and would like to run linux (I have not decided on a distribution yet), provided I can find either substitutions for these essential programs for me or can run them fluidly on wine.

Office 2007 (I personally hate open office, so I would like to be able to run the actual office from linux)
    You can use wine or Crossover Office to emulate a windows environment to run Office, Crossover Office seems to have better support for office based applications.

dios_et_dios wrote:
    Lightroom (I need a program that can handle RAW images and allow me to quickly edit a large number of photos, aka, not GIMP)
    I use digikam and imagemagick to extract analyze and modify raw photos.

dios_et_dios wrote:
    Itunes (I am not sold on Itunes, but I like the ease that I can get podcasts)
    This is a questionable subject because Apple keeps modifying itune to stop it from working on emulated environments, you might want to check out banshee and amarok for your podcast needs.

dios_et_dios wrote:
    A Good Video Editor
    Checkout the blog at http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/, it may help you to find an editor to fit your needs.

dios_et_dios wrote:
    A Good Photo viewer
    Again for this I recommend digikam, it has evolved quite well recently and it is by far my favorite photo organizer and viewer.

dios_et_dios wrote:
    Also, I will be trying to find a way to sync this laptop with a desktop and an external hard drive. Any software suggestions for syncing the laptop with a desktop over a network would be great as well. Thanks.
    For syncronizations most of us just write a script using rsync (a command line file synchronization client), but I am sure someone can recommend a gui apps that makes rsync easier to use.
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    OpenOffice.org will open literally every type of format under the sun and will save to most. While its not as sharp when it comes to total ability, its expansive coverage of file formats gives it a distinct advantage.

Gimp is a decent photo editor, but it is not professionally recommended. I suggest that you look up tutorials concerning Wine with Adobe products. There are several out there.

Finally - movie editors...I'm still trying to pick one myself. I'll get back to you.

-altNull
  • bllueskull
    bllueskull Posts: 22
    yeah i was wondering how to get some apps from the linux website, using my pc, then putting it in a flash drive to put on my linux computer (my linux computer has no internet).
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    bllueskull wrote:
    yeah i was wondering how to get some apps from the linux website, using my pc, then putting it in a flash drive to put on my linux computer (my linux computer has no internet).

That's gonna be complicated.

You should use your distro package manger to install programs! Although it is a bit difficult without internet...

The main problem is due to dependencies. For a program to work you'll need to download all of its library dependencies unless it is compiled statically.

You can check on other options like klik (http://klik.atekon.de/)
  • bllueskull
    well i don't really know how that will help i'm looking at the website and it kinda needs internet. and also back to the main question how do i get it onto the linux computer? by the way i'm running puppy 5.0
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    bllueskull wrote:
    well i don't really know how that will help i'm looking at the website and it kinda needs internet. and also back to the main question how do i get it onto the linux computer? by the way i'm running puppy 5.0

Checking on the Puppy website, I see that those packages have all you need for them to run by they own.

In other words, if you find a .pet package you can download it anyware, copy it to a usb dongle and install it on your machine with no worries: everything will be handled.
  • bllueskull
    see i tried putting in a usb and it had shut down my whole entire system. i don't know why. i had just opened it up and i plugged it in, it blinked a few times, then the screen went completely dark. should i format the drive then try it or.... what?

Categories

Upcoming Training