Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to Mount Network Hard Drive (NAS) as Non-Root

Options

Update: I figured out how to do this using fstab and wrote up a tutorial: :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1471854

------

I just finished installing Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid and I'm trying to setup my backup script again. In a nutshell, I had a script that would connect using smbmount as my normal user account and then mirror my home folder to the external network attached hard drive with rsync. It is required, as far as I have tested, that rsync be run as user account and not root to work properly.

Part of the setup info I gleaned from this article:

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/118225

In that article, it is recommended running this command to mount as non-root user:

chmod u+s /usr/bin/smbmnt

However, this file no longer exists in *buntu 10.04. Apparently smbfs has been modified for security reasons. Is there any other way to connect NAS drives as non-root user that is relatively secure? Struggled with this all day yesterday and still no solution.

Comments

• orcephrye
    orcephrye Posts: 9
    Options
    Um... Sadly I am not an Ubuntu user. But you should still be able to mount CIFS FSs.

Is there a command smbmount? If there is do a:
    #which smbmount

That will show you were to do your "chmod u+s".

If there is not smbmount command then try to see if you have a mount.cifs.

Some distros only allow that command in root. Not sure how Ubuntu does it. To check to see if you have that command I just type mount and then double tap the "tab" key for auto completion. ^.^

If you do have that then do a "which" command on "mount.cifs" and it should return the path for your "chmod u+s" command.

If you dont have neither smbmount nor mount.cifs then I would venture to guess you need to install a different package. In OpenSuSE the command was provided by the RPM "cifs-mount" so i would guess that something similar needs to be installed on Ubuntu.

Good luck! ^.^ Please let me know if that helps

Categories

Upcoming Training