Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Compiz in Ubuntu 10.04

I am about to download the new release of Ubuntu with KDE. Before I do I would like to know if it is possible to install compiz for it. If it is possoble, can someone please tell me how? Thanks

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    KDE has it's own version of Desktop Effects, some say they perform better than Compiz. To install them in Ubuntu all it takes is a trip to add/Remove software and search for Compiz. As far as whether Compiz will work with the new KDE Desktop effects, I'm not sure if that's possible. I ran Compiz in Debian Sid back when there was only KDE3.5, but, that was before KDE4. I would tend to think there are conflicts between the two.

Anyone else here try using both?
  • itbcn8
    itbcn8 Posts: 23
    Isn't Ubuntu with KDE called Kubuntu?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Yes, Ubuntu with KDE is Kubuntu, but the question and answers are the same, will Compiz conflict with KDE desktop effects? I haven't tried, but I speculate it would be a problem.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Ubuntu with KDE is called Kubuntu.

The KDE4 desktop effects are basically the same as compiz, but easier to configure. If you attempt to install the compiz packages on KDE4 you will get conflicts that will result in instabilities and/or mis-configured files.
  • I use kubuntu, KDE desktop effects, compiz has its own and is easy to configure

Categories

Upcoming Training