Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Can't send out any mail in all my email clients

jhaskins75
jhaskins75 Posts: 128

The other day, my KlamAV anti virus program stated it had intercepted a virus in my evolution Mail program, which when I open to view my mail, the last received mail in the inbox, unopened was right after my anti virus scan. I have been online with Evolution techs, with no results or clues to the problem. After checking all the available mail clients installed, each of them can receive mail, but not one of them can send it out with my smtp account settings. The outgoing port is the same with all [ 25 ] this is showing in evolution, kmail, thunderbird, and a host of others I intentionally installed to test. Now, I have a virtual guess windows setup [ Vista, with outlook, and the mail functions are ok, both receive and send. Whatever my anti virus program detected, as I quarantined the results, nothing the hell works in relationship to sending mail. How can I reinstall the proper mail files needed in Linux, Ubuntu 9.10 or is there a repair feature on my cd or a diagnostic program I can run to identify the problem? I now get this permission issue in evolution when it tries to fetch my mail to inbox folder. Totally frustrated!

IMAGE(http://i40.tinypic.com/op0hlu.png)

IMAGE(http://i44.tinypic.com/2l4c5g.png)

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    This is the second time today I've heard of someone using quarantine with klamav in Linux that has been locked out of something. Since I don't use virus checkers on my Linux installs, I can't help you with a solution. Although I would first check the permissions on that file, just to see what happened. (If it changed permissions to root, you may be able to change the permissions back to your user name).
    Next time your worried about an email, delete it, don't open it or do anything else with it.

Maybe someone here who uses Evolution can help you with what file name to look for. Given the file name, you might be able to use chown to change back permissions. Hopefully someone else here will have that answer.
  • jhaskins75
    I desperately need a solution from someone familiar with this issue. The surprisingly thing to all this was, I never opened the mail, as it was locked in the position I previously described, with my KlamAV fo;der running on top, showing these ' Virus Warning and prompting me to quarantined them, which I did. That is when everything feel to pieces. I am trying this postfix command to see where the problem lies. I do not know quat about Linux Mail protocols. Please have somebody, anybody help me.. Thank you John..[ Totally weird, I can receive mail, but I can not send, and in Evolution, when I click ' check mail. for a split second you can see the number of mails available, then the error states, can not fetch mail to inbox folder...HELP!!!!!!:angry: :S :blink:
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    I desperately need a solution from someone familiar with this issue. The surprisingly thing to all this was, I never opened the mail, as it was locked in the position I previously described, with my KlamAV fo;der running on top, showing these ' Virus Warning and prompting me to quarantined them, which I did. That is when everything feel to pieces. I am trying this postfix command to see where the problem lies. I do not know quat about Linux Mail protocols. Please have somebody, anybody help me.. Thank you John..[ Totally weird, I can receive mail, but I can not send, and in Evolution, when I click ' check mail. for a split second you can see the number of mails available, then the error states, can not fetch mail to inbox folder...HELP!!!!!!:angry: :S :blink:

34hggeo.png
  • jhaskins75
    What if I just reset the whole damn ubuntu? do you think putting this girl back to it's default state will solve this problem?

You keep thinking, “I wish I could just reset it back to its defaults, like a clean install, without losing all my applications and data.”

Well, you’re in luck. There is a way to reset your Desktop settings back to their defaults. If you keep in mind that everything in Linux is a file, all of its settings are files. All of Gnome’s customizations are located in their own specific folders. And these settings are user specific; they are in your Home folder. If you would create another user and log in with that user, you wouldn’t have any of the problems you are having in your own account. If you remove all these folders, you essentially remove all the settings. Therefore, we will remove the folders needed to reset Ubuntu/Gnome back to its defaults.

UPDATE (2008.01.30): Keep in mind that this will only reset your Gnome-specific settings. If you are having problems with your video card, display, x-server, etc., this WILL NOT fix your problems.

If you don’t have access to your graphical (GUI) desktop to delete these folders in Nautilus or you’re stuck at the login screen, drop to a terminal by hitting CTRL + ALT + F1, login to your account, and run this command:

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity

Get back to your GUI desktop by hitting CTRL + ALT + F7.

Login and VOILÀ! Just like the first time you ever logged into your Gnome desktop.
  • jhaskins75
    some more info:
    1em0z5.jpg
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Have you verified all of your settings to confirm that everything is set correctly to communicate with the comcast server or even contacted comcast to confirm that their authentication settings have not changed?
  • jhaskins75
    I took that into consideration, except that when I use any windows application, all the mail clients are working, both receive and send features. as a test to further confirm my assumption that the problem is with in Linux, I sent a message within my virtual guess window, which imported the mail settings from linux as the Host system prior to the incident with the virus being reported with KlamAv, and it went through to a receiving email address. I also signed out of Linux and opened my Windows 7 application and used the mail client and did the same send out message and it went through. I will still contact Comcast to see if there is a problem. As I am still very new to Linux. I believe I looked at all the Mail set up protocols in the file system, as John822/mail/local and check the permission settings of that folder and they were ok, but I feel that there is a major corruption to the file settings that I have no idea how to find / view as I do not know what to look for.
  • mfillpot
    Have you tried deleting the inbox folder so it can re-make the folder to allow access?
  • jhaskins75
    I was told to enter smtp.server.com:587 in Evolution and that failed

I removed Evolution via. Synaptic Mamager completely, and re-downloaded the same version / installed /opened up, and the same mail in my draft folder was there, no inbox, same fetching mail error. It is though I never deleted iy

I was told to delete password/ close/ re-open and redo my account settings. I did this an the same thing happens with errors

I tried my Kmail, as it will allow you to change your pop settings, even this failed, but Kmail will receive mail but cannot send out.

I called Comcast and they said they do not support port 25 anymore, nor do they support Linux, which to me is totally insane.

I am at the point in attempting to restore my Ubuntu to it's default state, which will keep my applications. I really dread losing Virtual Box, cause if it were not for my Guess window, I would have no mail functions.

I am also considering to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10, and I did try, but I did not have enough drive space. I managed to delete excess programs that i did not need to get back 3.0 gigs.

I have just about given up on seeking a solution, and that is sad, cause I feel I am not the only one who experienced this problem. Furthermore, if it is only happening to mail programs running in Linux and not in any of my other Windows, it would seem to me that this would solicit a quick review from Linux, to at lease duplicate the problem to seek a resolution.

I do not like to give in and be left with the feeling that something could be done, as this would allow me to assist someone else who has experienced the same thing.

I feel that I have probably contributed to my current problem by installing to my programs and re-starts which probably has corrupted some essential files.

I did click on my network, and viewed my mail folder, and all permissions were in tact, even though there was a little greyed out lock symbol attached to the folder, which Evolution mail keeps stating that my inbox folder is locked????

One more question before I take the next leap of faith. If I do decide to restore to default, will this reset everything and rid me of this mail problem?

Or should I just believe Comcast, saying they do not accept the smtp port 25 anymore, as most mail applications use this pop 25 port for sending mail.

I am giving the ball back to you guys!!!!:unsure:
  • mfillpot
    I say to go ahead with the re-installation, I am really leaning towards a file corruption issue resulting from the virus-scan.
  • jhaskins75
    That me be my only course. but I am not going to do a clean install, but I will try the restore to default or the upgrade to the new version of Ubuntu. 10.10. There is no assurance either way I will lose something of value, but to regain a fully functional Os will out gain the negatives and accentuate the positive. I will let you know the results.:dry:
  • jhaskins75
    GLAD TO BE BACK IN THE DRIVERS SEAT!!!!

I updated my recent version 9.10 to the new version 10.04, which took a total of 2-1/2 hours. It literally added 4,447 new files and removed 47 old files and cleaned out obsolete software.

I retained all of my applications [ What a major relief ]

I tentatively tried my kmail account, crossing my fingers, hoping and saying a little prayer in the background. Th first try failed to send, so I checked the account and two were listed. I deleted the extra one and checked the port for smtp, and it listed the port 25, so I changed it back to Kmails default port of 465, closed out and retried. It sent out the mail perfectly. I tested it by sending mail back to my primary email address and some alternative addresses, and they were successful in sending. I will not experiment with anymore different mail clients, PERIOD!!

My Virtual box program stayed intact with no problems to report. I really need the newer Sun version with the ubs capability, so it can access my ubs devices [ printer ], but I am just going to take it easy for awhile.

The updater for Ubuntu 10.04 states that I may have the beta version and not the RC Version, but everything that I had in 9.10 is working normally, so I am not going to push my fate.

As for Evolution and KlamAV virus programs, I am not even going to bother with them, as the newer version showed it deleted all files associated with both programs, as they were part of the 47 programs listed to be removed prior to the upgrade to 10.04

If you know of any 9.10 users who would like to upload the newer version, just have them press ALT-F2 and enter

update-notifier-kde -d and it will self install.

I am satified and now I need to learn the commands to open tar.bz2 files. I know the xvf command, but when there is a program which is a tar, it always asked to save to file, which most reading say, save to desktop, but they always get downloaded to my download folder after being extracted. I wish Linux would create a package manager dedication strictly for tar.bz2 files that open with ease like a deb file in the archive manager. there are some great tar. programs, but if you are a novice like me, it is completely frustrating and time consuming trying to open them.

As I learn and progress with in Linux, I will master the technique, but for now, I am applying the brakes and live with what I have.

Again I thank you for all the help you have given me, along with your fellow associates.....John:cheer:

B):) :laugh: :lol: :woohoo:

Categories

Upcoming Training