Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

wifi on openSUSE

Hello.

I have problems with my wifi connection on openSUSE 11.2 64bit (with GNOME).

I configured all with Ndiswrapper, with no problems. But the problem starts with Yast and Network Manager.

Can you help me?

I have a Conceptronic c150ru.

Comments

• Hello.

Well, I tried to configure internet with the terminal, but I can't do it.

First, I wrote iwconfig wlan0 essid (the name of my connection). OK

Secondly, I wrote iwconfig wlan0 key (my WEP key). It didn't work.

I need help.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I was hoping that an opensuse user would pop up and help, but sine no one has I will take a shot.

What kind of problems are you having with YAST and the Network Manager?
    Do you see your loaded driver when you issue the command "ndiswrapper -l"?
    Do you see that the ndiswrapper module is loaded when you run "lsmod|grep ndis"?
    Do you see any available wireless networks when you open the Network Manager?
    What kind of wireless chipset is displayed when you look at hte output of lspci?
  • Hello.

(I don't know why I didn't receive a notification :blink: )

Well, YAST is very difficult to use for me, and when I do the steps of the tutorial ( http://en.opensuse.org/Ndiswrapper_howto ), my YAST seems to work in a different way. Network Manager too.

My driver is well loaded.

My ndiswrapper module is also well loaded.

I don't see any wireless networks.

I don't remember my wireless chipset, but I think it's ralink.
  • mfillpot
    I think you should share the output of "ndiswrapper -l", this will show us what windows drivers are loaded via ndiswrapper.

I have seen in the past some occurrences of ralink and realtek wifi drivers that only work in 32-bit windows and 32-bit Linux distros. If you give us the output of the command I listed we can further research the specific card type and driver to see what issues have been reported.
  • Ok, I'll try that later and write here the driver(s).
  • mfillpot wrote:
    I think you should share the output of "ndiswrapper -l", this will show us what windows drivers are loaded via ndiswrapper..

OK, I wrote ndiswrapper -l, and this appeared:

RT2870: Driver installed
    device (148F:3070) present (alternate driver: rt2800usb)
  • mfillpot
    Ok, I looked up the driver and it does not seem to have issues with architecture, but I did find a reference where someone installed the 32-bit version of that driver in a 64-bit Distro and that was the cause of the issue. Can you please post the output of the following command so we can see what version of the driver is installed?
    dmesg|grep ndiswrapper|tail -n 15

I would be best if you copy and paste the command so it is not typed incorrectly.
  • dmesg|grep ndiswrapper|tail -n 15

[ 15.472741] ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=yes)
    [ 16.117969] ndiswrapper (link_pe_images:575): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in the driver
    [ 16.120651] ndiswrapper: driver rt2870 (2L International B.V.,06/30/2009, 1.04.05.0000) loaded
    [ 16.874959] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    [ 21.185166] IP: [<ffffffffa012f015>] IofCompleteRequest+0xd5/0x1e0 [ndiswrapper]
    [ 21.185235] last sysfs file: /sys/module/ndiswrapper/initstate
    [ 21.185249] Modules linked in: i915 ip6t_REJECT nf_conntrack_ipv6 drm i2c_algo_bit video ip6table_raw xt_NOTRACK ipt_REJECT xt_state iptable_raw iptable_filter ip6table_mangle cpufreq_conservative nf_conntrack_netbios_ns cpufreq_userspace nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack nf_defrag_ipv4 cpufreq_powersave ip_tables acpi_cpufreq ip6table_filter ip6_tables x_tables fuse loop dm_mod sr_mod cdrom sg rt2870sta(C) snd_hda_codec_realtek rt2800usb rt2x00usb rt2x00lib input_polldev snd_hda_intel mac80211 snd_hda_codec cfg80211 snd_hwdep rfkill crc_ccitt snd_pcm snd_timer snd snd_page_alloc e100 pcspkr ohci1394 ieee1394 iTCO_wdt i2c_i801 iTCO_vendor_support button intel_agp ndiswrapper preloadtrace ext4 jbd2 crc16 fan processor piix ide_core thermal thermal_sys
    [ 21.185410] RIP: 0010:[<ffffffffa012f015>] [<ffffffffa012f015>] IofCompleteRequest+0xd5/0x1e0 [ndiswrapper]
    [ 21.185693] [<ffffffffa013b1e5>] wrap_urb_complete_worker+0x105/0x1f0 [ndiswrapper]
    [ 21.185904] RIP [<ffffffffa012f015>] IofCompleteRequest+0xd5/0x1e0 [ndiswrapper]
    [ 64.115458] ndiswrapper (iw_set_auth:1602): invalid cmd 12
    [ 74.125342] ndiswrapper (iw_set_auth:1602): invalid cmd 12
  • mfillpot
    You gave exactly what is needed, it looks like ndiswrapper does not include all necessary code to make your wifi driver work properly. Fortunately someone at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343847 has written a nice guide on how to fix the problem.

Let me know if you have issues after trying the procedure.
  • fedev
    fedev Posts: 9
    I have a USB Wireless Adapter from D-Link which has that chipset but I'm using Ralink's driver which work under linux with no need of ndiswrapper. The output of lsusb is:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3c09 D-Link System DWA-140 802.11n Adapter [ralink rt2870]

what I had to do was to blacklist the rt2800usb module, it worked after that.

BTW, running on OpenSUSE 11.2
  • mfillpot wrote:
    You gave exactly what is needed, it looks like ndiswrapper does not include all necessary code to make your wifi driver work properly. Fortunately someone at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343847 has written a nice guide on how to fix the problem.

Let me know if you have issues after trying the procedure.

So, I must uninstall my current version of Ndiswrapper, I must download the latest version on my Windows, then copy&paste it to my Linux, then install it and then do all the steps again (find the driver, write ndiswrapper -m, etc.), isn't it?
  • Hello everybody.

I just write to say that I will uninstall openSUSE, because it gives me a lot of trouble. So, I will uninstall it, and I will install either Linux Mint or Mandriva Linux. I do not know.

But, when I install one of both, I will also download the latest version of Ndiswrapper, and I will try again to have internet.

Well, I hope I will not write here anymore (but I do not make any promises ;) )
  • @annethurium you need check the modem

Categories

Upcoming Training