Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to Build an Ubuntu Package

mfillpot
mfillpot Posts: 2,177

Building a distro package is preferred over running a standard compile and install for most application because you want the resulting application of library to be properly referenced and manged through your package manager.

So, I figured it is time to start a thread so we can share instructions and some good links and give the information necessary for new and experienced users to make their own packages of the various applications and libraries that they wish to use on their Ubuntu systems.

For information about making an Ubuntu package refer to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=51003

If you know were to submit packages for including the the repositories or have additional information to share please post here.

Comments

• gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    The only .debs I have built so far have always been kernel packages. But there's a great tool for doing that people should look into. It's call make-kpkg. It's essentialls a series of scripts that will take your Linux kernel sources and the configuration you've chosen and will build the kernel, the modules, and create the necessary initrd (if you need one) and bundel everything together into a .deb so you can easily install the package on your current system and let apt / dpkg manage it. I find it useful when I have multiple machines to install on, and I wanted some specific support in the kernel and initrd.

Also, make-kpkg has plenty of hooks for allowing you to customize what happens before and after the package is installed. It also takes care of configuring your boot loader for you, too.
  • mfillpot
    Thank you for the input Adam, that is valuable information.
  • Cloaky8x
    Cloaky8x Posts: 1
    Awsome, Now I can deb Songbird to x64 - the current version is old and crap :laugh:
  • mfillpot
    Cloaky8x wrote:
    Awsome, Now I can deb Songbird to x64 - the current version is old and crap :laugh:

Loren, you have some bad timing with wanting to build a new package for Songbird, they recently announced that they are discontinuing Linux development (http://blog.songbirdnest.com/2010/04/02/songbird-singing-a-new-tune/).
  • I have used this tool as well and its very good. Highly recommended
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    Yea, I'm not happy with the lack of linux support now wiht songbird. I liked songbird because it was basically my itunes alternative in linux.

Categories

Upcoming Training