Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Can linux be installed on a new mac pro 8 core ?

Hello,

I have a new 8 core mac pro that i want to turn into a web server. I want to eventually run cPanel WHM for hosting account creation. Can linux be installed on a new mac pro 8 core ? If so could someone guide me as to what version i would need to install and where i could find an install guide for my specific application.

Thank you in advance for any help, Wayne:)

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Seems there are problems installing Linux on that machine, though some have worked around them. Look at this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25703
  • WBurkart
    WBurkart Posts: 2
    Hello,

Thanks for the info. I saw that thread before but it's 4 years old. You think there would be more info by now ? I guess i'll go ask some questions at Sabayon Linux and see what comes up. If you have any more ideas let me know ? Of couse i will install it to it's own fresh drive. I will not be trying to duel boot if that makes things easier. My Mac pro has the 18x SuperDrive with double-layer support. These are the supported Os's for cpanel WHM but i'm not sure what one would install on the mac system:

•CentOS (free) versions 4.x, 5.x
    •Red Hat ® Enterprise Linux® versions 3.x, 4.x, 5.x
    •FreeBSD ® -RELEASE versions 7.1, 7.2, 8.0

Thank you, wayne
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    When looking at the tech specs of the system nothing looks out of the ordinary except for the airport wireless card, which is really just a broadcom wireless chipset.

For the wireless card to work you would have to read the thread at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10970311.

There is also some potential for a custom bios that may interfere with Linux systems, but that is minor possibility because I am seeing plenty of cases where people are installing Linux Distros on new Macs.
  • vallhalla
    vallhalla Posts: 1
    In short YES it will and myself and many others in the sabayon irc will be glad to help if you get stuck
    (yes i know old post and question but want to answer as a search may lead here :) )

Categories

Upcoming Training