Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

MAKE command

Hi.

I've really decided to learn how does MAKE command work. However I know what it does and I know how to use it, but I've never been successful in compiling a package with it.

I'm asking my question since I know MAKE is extremely useful in Linux.

I've downloaded Apache Web Server package and have tried to compile it, but MAKE wants a makefile file. Where can I find it? The best solution is to rename makefile.win to makefile and use it for make file, but MAKE command returns this error:

makefile:50: *** missing separator. Stop.

Any ideas? I really need to install apache by myself. and of course before installation comes compilation.

ThanX so much! ;-)

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    make is not working for you because you have not yet built the configuration file by calling "./configure".

Read http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/install.html for the compile and install instructions.
  • ActiveX
    ActiveX Posts: 59
    I forgot to say, I've already done that. What I'm talking is happening after ./configure configuration is done too.
  • mfillpot
    Then I am leaving towards a problem with the script in the source package. Can you please provide a link to the source file you are using and provide the command that you have run prior to make so I can replicate your actions?
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    are you sure you successfully configured the package? re-run ./configure and then run make, and then copy and paste the output of the entire process into the forum. I suspect that the make file was never written because the configuration process failed along the way somewhere.
  • ActiveX
    ActiveX Posts: 59
    Sorry, I had not paid attention to the tiny error message that ./configure had generated. I didn't know its supposed to generate pages of text in terminal.

I found the stupid thing I had done: I had extracted the package in an NTFS drive (which I'm not sure if matters), and worse, I had put it in a folder called "LINUX DOWNLOADS", with that space in the middle.

I moved the package to /tmp/ and did all the things there again, and I successfully compiled and installed the apache server.

Thanks so much for your helps. :)
  • mfillpot
    I think the problem you experienced with running configure on a ntfs partition is most likely related to the configure script not being able to correctly assign unix files permissions on that partition.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    If you can post the Makefile here, or a few lines before and after line 50 it would help. It may be that apache is wanting to use another version of make, such as gmake or cmake. There are subtle differences and while some Makefiles will work on any of make/gmake/cmake, some won't. In any case, look at the apache web site for the build environment requirements. There should be some mention there if you need a special version of make.

Categories

Upcoming Training