Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Wireless Driver(s) Not Working

Just got a new Dell Vostro A90 to replace an eeePc. This Dell was supposed to be loaded with Ubuntu. (NOT) I installed Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix. I have a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 wireless card and installed a b43 driver which did not work.The second driver said to work is a : wl But on my system, it is showing up as wl0 benita@benita-laptop:~$ lshw -C network

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.

*-network

description: Wireless interface

product: BCM4312 802.11b/g

vendor: Broadcom Corporation

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0

logical name: eth1

version: 01

serial: 00:23:08:e7:48:54

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless

configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.91.9 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11

resources: irq:17 memory:f0200000-f0203fff

*-network

description: Ethernet interface

product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller

vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0

logical name: eth0

version: 02

serial: 00:24:e8:ee:d0:53

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical

configuration: broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI latency=0 multicast=yes

resources: irq:27 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:f0610000-f0610fff(prefetchable) memory:f0600000-f060ffff(prefetchable) memory:f0620000-f063fff

Then I checked to see if Puter see's the access point.... benita@benita-laptop:~$ sudo iwlist scan

lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth1 Scan completed :

Cell 01 - Address: 00:21:04:B5:79:2E

ESSID:"frontier7929"

Mode:Managed

Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)

Quality:5/5 Signal level:-26 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm

Encryption key:off

Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s

6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s

36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

I also can not find any GUI for a network scan anywhere in this operating system. I've got network connections , network settings , network tools, all of which do not do anything. Any idea's out there? Thanks for taking the time.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I personally have not used ubuntu netbook remix, but I am sure that there has to be a gui to attach to wifi networks.

By what I can see in the screenshot at http://media.techworld.com/cmsdata/reviews/3205724/Ubuntu Netbook Remix.jpg the networking gui should be at the top of the screen as in normal ubuntu, if you click on the icon that looks like a monitor then it should display the network options.

Can we get some ubuntu netbook remix user to chime in here?
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You need to install the firmware for the card. The driver alone is not enough.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    looks to me like it's working just fine. eth1 is your 802.11 card. does it not show up in network manager? Network manager should be one of the tiny icons in the upper right hand corner of the ubuntu netbook remix desktop. The card is clearly working because you were able to see an SSID being advertised. And it seems that the SSID is not protected, so you chould be able to just click on it on the drop down list that appears when you click on the Network Manager icon.
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    Yup, that's how it works on my ubuntu netbook edition install. Also, make sure there are no switches on your computer that turn wifi on and off, my computer has one and sometimes I don't realize i have it in the off position.
  • ford
    ford Posts: 24
    sudo -s

wget http://bu3sch.de/b43/fwcutter/b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
    tar xjf b43-fwcutter-012.tar.bz2
    cd b43-fwcutter-012
    make
    cd ..

export FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR="/lib/firmware"
    wget http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    tar xjf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver
    sudo ../../b43-fwcutter-012/b43-fwcutter -w "$FIRMWARE_INSTALL_DIR" wl_apsta_mimo.o

exit

then reboot
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    Personally, I like wicd. Its not the drivers, but a wireless manager. My biggest problem was that when I first installed Fedora 12 on my laptop, there would be a segment fault error causing kernel crash. This was caused by the Gnome Wireless Manager and not the driver. Now I had to switch Ubuntu to get the graphics drivers working, but I was able to get the wireless working through wicd before I switched. Try using that before you try using new drivers, because it will take less time to install and configure.

If that doesn't working try using the drivers from Linux Wireless. They have the broadest set of drivers that you can install at ounce. You'll need to read documentation on how to use the scripts.
  • samadams
    samadams Posts: 6
    Thanks ,I worked it out with ndiswrapper. It is a Broadcom driver. All is good, The Remix Is Great.
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    Good news, enjoy!

Categories

Upcoming Training