Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ubuntu Vs. Ubuntu for Netbooks

I am new to the Linux world. I have a netbook I would like to run Ubuntu on, but I cannot find any info on what is included as far as WIFI and Broadband items (i.e. drivers, etc.) Does Ubuntu and/or the netbook version come with the capability to run my WIFI and broadband in my netbook, or will I have to download the drivers separately?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Ubuntu and ubuntu netbook remix both refer to the same repos for packages which include drivers, if the driver is supported in one then it will be supported by both.

Most wifi chipsets work on ubuntu without issues but a few have issues or do not work at all. Have you tried searching good for your netbook model information and the word s ubuntu and wifi to see if others have has problems?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    And there's always the Live CD's. If you aren't able to find the info you're looking for, just download a Live CD and test it on your netbook. A broad range of drivers are included on the Live CD's and if your driver is not included, you can use the setup option to see if it's included in the repos. You can even download it into the live session and see if it works before installing the distro to the hard drive. BTW- since many netbooks don't have a cdrom drive, that same LiveCD can be transferred to a USB stick and booted from there.
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    And there's always the Live CD's. If you aren't able to find the info you're looking for, just download a Live CD and test it on your netbook. A broad range of drivers are included on the Live CD's and if your driver is not included, you can use the setup option to see if it's included in the repos. You can even download it into the live session and see if it works before installing the distro to the hard drive. BTW- since many netbooks don't have a cdrom drive, that same LiveCD can be transferred to a USB stick and booted from there.

He's right, that's always a good idea before trying the distro. I did that to make sure my USB to LAN converter worked.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    True: a LARGE number of wireless cards (both 802.11 and EVDO / 3G / 4G) work right "out of the box" w/ the Linux kernel (regardless of distro).

True: A Live CD / Live USB is a handy way to test hardware support

Don't forget, though, just because a particular piece of hardware doesn't work right out of the box w/ a given distro, that doesn't mean that you are just one or two simple steps away from making it work. Often times, network cards that are not directly supported by the kernel have closed source, manufacturer provided drivers available for Linux that are jsut as easily installed and used (e.g. my own broadcomm 802.11 card).
  • I am not sure what type of netbook you have but Ubuntu has a good list of netbook compatibility on their site:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

Hopefully that list will let you know what does/does not work with your model. Good luck and welcome to Linux.
  • Tbunny
    Tbunny Posts: 10
    Okay folks,

Thanks for all of the input. I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5. It has no CD drive, and I don't own a portable one. I have tried unsuccessfully to try Ubuntu via the usb with the Universal USB installer (gives me 55 errors and gives me a black screen) and Unetbootin (constantly counts down from ten and does nothing). Any suggestions? As far as chipsets, I have no clue as to what i actually have...I know just enough to get myself into trouble. I do know this computer has the At&t cellular card built in complete with the little card that comes with every At&t phone..
  • mfillpot
    By what I have been reading is should install without too many issues after you update he bios on the netbook. Once that has been updated I recommend installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook) since it has a smaller screen.
  • Tbunny
    Tbunny Posts: 10
    Update it with what and how?
  • mfillpot
    You will have to visit the manufacturer's website to find the bios update lists and instructions.

Categories

Upcoming Training