Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Duplicate database column entry

Options

I'm working on a project in which I need to make sure that a certain field in a database table only includes unique values. To do this, I applied a UNIQUE key constraint to the column. When I try to insert a new row into the table with a value that already exists in the column, I receive the following error:

ERROR 1062 (23000): Duplicate entry 'value' for key 'column_name_UNIQUE'

I looked it up online and discovered that this error number indicates that the database has spotted a duplicate item in a field that is meant to be unique. The 1062 component of the error code represents a duplicate key value in MySQL, whereas the 23000 section denotes a generic integrity constraint violation.

I'm perplexed since I assumed the UNIQUE key constraint would prevent this type of issue from occurring. Reading this post, I discovered that the problem is caused by a flaw in the application code that inserts the data. So, what should I do now?

I believe the issue is with null values: when one of its operands is null, operator> returns an undefined value, which may bypass your IF function.
What should I do in the situation? According to the post, in order for this to function, I need a unique key on the id so that duplicates can be recognized in the first place. Is that correct? Could someone please explain?

Comments

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368
    Options

Have you also posted to other websites that might help with Linux database problem?

Stack Overflow. Stack Overflow is a question-and-answer website for professional and enthusiast programmers. There is a large and active community of Linux database users on Stack Overflow, and you are likely to get a quick and helpful answer to your question.

DBA Stack Exchange. DBA Stack Exchange is a question-and-answer website for database administrators. There is a large and active community of Linux database administrators on DBA Stack Exchange, and you are likely to get a quick and helpful answer to your question.

Server Fault. Server Fault is a question-and-answer website for system administrators. There is a large and active community of Linux database administrators on Server Fault, and you are likely to get a quick and helpful answer to your question.

Reddit: The /r/linux and /r/mysql subreddits are good places to post your question and get a response from the community. Be sure to read the rules and guidelines before posting.

LinuxQuestions.org: This is a community-driven forum specifically dedicated to Linux-related questions, including database issues. You can post your question and get responses from experienced Linux users and experts.

Linux.org provides information and support for a variety of database management systems (DBMSs), including MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite. The organization also offers a variety of tutorials and guides on how to use these DBMSs.

The Linux database vendor support forums. If you are using a commercial Linux database, you can contact the vendor for support. The vendor support team can help you troubleshoot your database problems and can provide you with updates and patches. E.G. MySQL Forums: If your issue specifically relates to MySQL, the MySQL Forums is a great place to post your question and get help from other users and experts.

Categories

Upcoming Training