Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.1

ebabade
ebabade Posts: 9
edited March 2023 in LFS258 Class Forum

NOTE: Post edited to remove username and password.

I keep getting this error

ubuntu@ip-172-31-5-126:~$ wget https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/LFS258/LFS258V2023-03-01SOLUTIONS.tar.xz--user=--password=
--2023-03-15 20:40:31-- https://training.linuxfoundation.org/cm/LFS258/LFS258V2023-03-01SOLUTIONS.tar.xz--user=
Resolving training.linuxfoundation.org (training.linuxfoundation.org)... 151.101.42.132
Connecting to training.linuxfoundation.org (training.linuxfoundation.org)|151.101.42.132|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 401 Restricted

Username/Password Authentication Failed.

Can i get some help?

Comments

• mstepien
    mstepien Posts: 410

Hi @ebabade,

Please avoid sharing sensitive information such as user ID and password in the forum.

• ebabade

@mstepien ok, thanks for the advice. can i get an answer to my question

• mstepien
    edited March 2023

The course lab files can be accessed by following instructions provided directly in the 3.1 exercise. Please note that depending on your software, if you are cutting and pasting instructions given in the PDF, the underscores may disappear and be replaced by spaces, so you may have to edit the command line by hand.

You can also follow instructions in Chapter 1 (Introduction > Course Resources) to download course resources.

• ebabade

I tried all the options you stated, but still getting the same result.

• mstepien

I followed instructions provided in Chapter 1 and I was able to access course resources. Please try again.

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @ebabade,

You may have typos in your command. In addition to editing for the two underscores, ensure that there are spaces preceding the --user and the --password flags. Removing the backslash "\" and converting the multi-line command into a single line command may also help.

Regards,
    -Chris

• ebabade

Hi @chrispokorni

I tried typing it out and with all the corrections you mentioned, but i keep getting

Connecting to training.linuxfoundation.org (training.linuxfoundation.org)|151.101.42.132|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2023-03-16 17:40:21 ERROR 404: Not Found.

What can i do please?

Thanks

• ebabade

@chrispokorni I just got it, thanks. Do I have to do this every time I start my instance? because I had to put in the new Ip address from AWS to start my lab today.

• chrispokorni

Hi @ebabade,

What type of infrastructure are you using for labs - cloud instances or local VMs? Are you behind a proxy or a firewall?

How is your /etc/resolv.conf file configured?

Can you access the same URL from a browser instead?

Regards,
    -Chris

• chrispokorni

Hi @ebabade,

I am not sure I understand what specifically you are doing that needs the IP of the AWS EC2 instance.

However, once the SOLUTIONS tarball has been downloaded and extracted to your instance, you can safely stop and start the instance without loss of data. The public IP address may change, unless you opt for a static public IP (a service that costs extra).

Regards,
    -Chris

• ebabade

@chrispokorni I created my lab with the setup video that was posted for AWS labs, and we had to put in the ip address from AWS into putty and opening up the command interface from there

Categories

Upcoming Training