Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Having trouble installing a evga 8400 gs pci

mgracy
mgracy Posts: 4

I'm installing this in a Dell Precision 690

The OS is Ubunutu 9.10 (all updates applied).

I've loaded the latest stable nvidia drivers (190.53) and it won't see it.

I looked at what the linux system thinks is in the slot and I get the following from lspci:

0c:02.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX8112 x1 Lane PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge (rev aa)

I know this is the correct entry as in another machine I have a 6200 pci and it shows up at the same pci bus address (0c:02.0) and it works just fine.

So, I've got working drivers, but it recognizes the card as a PCI-E interface instead of something like:

0c:02.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)

Please, can you point me in the correct direction?

I've checked dmesg for errors, but none found

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    The 190.53 and later drivers have some serious problems, acknowledged by nVidia and fixes are currently underway. In the meantime, install a driver prior to 190.53 and see if that works. Also, if you system also has a built-in video adapter, then you need to go into the BIOS and disable it. When you boot, do you get a BIOS splash screen or anything at all?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    How do you know that the video drivers are not seeing or interacting with the video card?
  • altNull
    altNull Posts: 65
    Do you want to do it manually? Since your using Ubuntu I'm assuming NO. Therefore see program entitled EnvyNG in any updated Ubuntu repository.
  • mgracy
    I should have mentioned that this is a third monitor in addition to the other two.
    The main vid card is a nvidia FX570 in the only 16x pcie slot. It has two 20" monitors running on it just fine.
    The card mentioned above is in the only 'standard' pci slot (there are 2 more 64-bit slots in addition to this lone 32-bit slot).
  • mgracy
    altNull wrote:
    Do you want to do it manually? Since your using Ubuntu I'm assuming NO. Therefore see program entitled EnvyNG in any updated Ubuntu repository.

I have no problems with doing anything manually. I support a 300+ RHEL3/4/5 site for my company.
    I'm no stranger to the command line and I've been using Ubunto since 6.x. I just prefer Ubunutu on my desktop as it is easier to get my day to day stuff done then having to chase down dependencies for RHEL5 when ever I want to try something new.
  • mgracy
    mfillpot wrote:
    How do you know that the video drivers are not seeing or interacting with the video card?
    Because I've read the logs (Xorg.0.log, syslog,dmesg) and I've manually removed and reinserted the nvidia kernel module with maximum verbosity to see what it is finding.
    Since the output only shows the one nvidia card (the fx 570 in the pci-e slot) and shows the pci-pcie bridge chip at the bus id of the pci slot in question:
    07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [Quadro FX 570] (rev a1)
    0c:02.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX8112 x1 Lane PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge (rev aa)

I have another Dell Precision 690 that has an older 6200 based nvidia chipset, no bridge chip and everything works fine with 2 vid cards and 3 monitors.
    I would have ordered the same card again, but it looks like cdw doesn't carry it any more.

Categories

Upcoming Training