Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

how to open a .tar.bz2 file

jhaskins75
jhaskins75 Posts: 128

First let me say in advance my appreciation to all the forum members as well as the administrators who have assisted me to get to where I am now in understanding the Linux / Ubuntu OS Software and Systems. I have been a devoted user of Windows sense the days of DOS up until my present Os, Windows 7, But I have an inherited nature to seek out new territories to conquer. After finding Ubuntu to install and tinker with, I ran into a road block. Everything was going smoothly, especially with the pre defined applications listed in the add / remove menu, along with me learning the proper driver base in Synaptic Manger Console, I ran into the dreaded .tar.bz2 file. I used to play with the command panel in windows when I needed to enter a specific command for a function, but I am totally dumb to the linux language in the terminal window of Linux. I need specific apps from sites sponsoring linux programs /apps and software, but when I attempt to open these .tar files, they just dissipate in the open file process after I extract them to a directory. On other Linux tech forum sites, I read intensely some answers to my questions about .tar, but I get further confused to how to implement the solutions. I have been provided a bunch of links to sites with answers, but I am still dumb to how to do it. Can one of you Master geeks help me? John:(

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You may not need to go into a terminal to open a tar.bz2 file. Why don't you tell us specifically what you are trying to do with this file. If you are using tar to decompress the file, the contents may be going into different folders (directories), so it may seem that the contents disappear.
    So, tell us what the file is, where you would like the contents to go, and we will try to tell you how to complete your task. There may be multiple answers to your questions.
  • jhaskins75
    D:laugh: uring the time I was waiting for a reply, I research on the main Ubuntu.com page and was directed to the school of Ubuntu. Anyway, it had an article specifically directed to installing files ' rpm, tar. etc ' It had a link embedded saying ' Build Essential ' which I clicked on and my archive manager appeared requesting to run, and it said I had it already. I might have somehow engaged this feature when I went into my synaptic Manager / search for ' tar ' / checked all the appropriate boxes relating to tar/ update. I tried to make a program called vuze to work, so i went download folder and found vuze, click to open, then I looked for the read me text, and it directed me to azzuse ' excuse the spelling, anyway ' that information directed me to open it and the program started to run, but it did not leave a desktop icon. The desktop icon that I do have of vuze is the older version which is not recognized by Ubuntu anymore, so I will have to use the method given to me to run the new version. Also, I read and received the correct command for initiating a tar file in the terminal ' tar xfvz tarball_name ' Now my Master Geek, am I on the right path. Please correct me if I have been misinformed. I am receiving my info from ubuntu.com
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    tar -xzf file name

The 'f' should be the last option because it expect a file name as the next argument.

Also, you can just double click on the file in the file manager that comes with Ubuntu (nautilus), it should open the file in file-roller (a GUI archive manager).
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    that is the correct method that I was going to recommend. You should also be able to navigate to the file in the standard gui and right click to select "extract here" or "open with archive manager", these options should be simpler to remember.
  • There's an easier way somewhat similar to the "Desktop Icon" way of things you mention. Just save (or drag) the tar.bz2 file to your desktop, then right-click on it and select "Extract Here." Although this method tends to clutter up the desktop, at least you always know where the files land (and you can move them around later once you got the app running)...
  • jhaskins75
    I must be progressing along at a steady pace, or you have 'ESP'. I tried that for the same exact reasoning you are suggesting for me to try. it works to perfection. I still now need to master them sudo's and such. Ubuntu.com has a list of commands, but they are serious about being careful with the sudo command prompt, something about password activity. Don't give up on me, cause I am going to reach out for your expertise more and more and more, etc. Very glad to know you, John...

Categories

Upcoming Training