Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.1 - Kubeadm init Error creating kube-proxy service account

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble getting the control plane up and running without issues. I've followed the steps so far without any errors or issues, but I'm unable to initialize the cluster successfully. I get the following output:

root@cp:~# kubeadm init --config=kubeadm-config.yaml --upload-certs | tee kubeadm-init.out #<-- Save output for future review
[init] Using Kubernetes version: v1.24.1
[preflight] Running pre-flight checks
    [WARNING SystemVerification]: missing optional cgroups: blkio
[preflight] Pulling images required for setting up a Kubernetes cluster
[preflight] This might take a minute or two, depending on the speed of your internet connection
[preflight] You can also perform this action in beforehand using 'kubeadm config images pull'
[certs] Using certificateDir folder "/etc/kubernetes/pki"
[certs] Generating "ca" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "apiserver" certificate and key
[certs] apiserver serving cert is signed for DNS names [cp k8scp kubernetes kubernetes.default kubernetes.default.svc kubernetes.default.svc.cluster.local] and IPs [10.96.0.1 192.168.64.7]
[certs] Generating "apiserver-kubelet-client" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "front-proxy-ca" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "front-proxy-client" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "etcd/ca" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "etcd/server" certificate and key
[certs] etcd/server serving cert is signed for DNS names [cp localhost] and IPs [192.168.64.7 127.0.0.1 ::1]
[certs] Generating "etcd/peer" certificate and key
[certs] etcd/peer serving cert is signed for DNS names [cp localhost] and IPs [192.168.64.7 127.0.0.1 ::1]
[certs] Generating "etcd/healthcheck-client" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "apiserver-etcd-client" certificate and key
[certs] Generating "sa" key and public key
[kubeconfig] Using kubeconfig folder "/etc/kubernetes"
[kubeconfig] Writing "admin.conf" kubeconfig file
[kubeconfig] Writing "kubelet.conf" kubeconfig file
[kubeconfig] Writing "controller-manager.conf" kubeconfig file
[kubeconfig] Writing "scheduler.conf" kubeconfig file
[kubelet-start] Writing kubelet environment file with flags to file "/var/lib/kubelet/kubeadm-flags.env"
[kubelet-start] Writing kubelet configuration to file "/var/lib/kubelet/config.yaml"
[kubelet-start] Starting the kubelet
[control-plane] Using manifest folder "/etc/kubernetes/manifests"
[control-plane] Creating static Pod manifest for "kube-apiserver"
[control-plane] Creating static Pod manifest for "kube-controller-manager"
[control-plane] Creating static Pod manifest for "kube-scheduler"
[etcd] Creating static Pod manifest for local etcd in "/etc/kubernetes/manifests"
[wait-control-plane] Waiting for the kubelet to boot up the control plane as static Pods from directory "/etc/kubernetes/manifests". This can take up to 4m0s
[apiclient] All control plane components are healthy after 4.503459 seconds
[upload-config] Storing the configuration used in ConfigMap "kubeadm-config" in the "kube-system" Namespace
[kubelet] Creating a ConfigMap "kubelet-config" in namespace kube-system with the configuration for the kubelets in the cluster
[upload-certs] Storing the certificates in Secret "kubeadm-certs" in the "kube-system" Namespace
[upload-certs] Using certificate key:
ca3cbd7a4e61124ccb144d974230c018d842f1327e518d798e34047313ba6ae2
[mark-control-plane] Marking the node cp as control-plane by adding the labels: [node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane node.kubernetes.io/exclude-from-external-load-balancers]
[mark-control-plane] Marking the node cp as control-plane by adding the taints [node-role.kubernetes.io/master:NoSchedule node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane:NoSchedule]
[bootstrap-token] Using token: htas18.2rgk0f9hjb211pm1
[bootstrap-token] Configuring bootstrap tokens, cluster-info ConfigMap, RBAC Roles
[bootstrap-token] Configured RBAC rules to allow Node Bootstrap tokens to get nodes
[bootstrap-token] Configured RBAC rules to allow Node Bootstrap tokens to post CSRs in order for nodes to get long term certificate credentials
[bootstrap-token] Configured RBAC rules to allow the csrapprover controller automatically approve CSRs from a Node Bootstrap Token
[bootstrap-token] Configured RBAC rules to allow certificate rotation for all node client certificates in the cluster
[bootstrap-token] Creating the "cluster-info" ConfigMap in the "kube-public" namespace
[kubelet-finalize] Updating "/etc/kubernetes/kubelet.conf" to point to a rotatable kubelet client certificate and key
[addons] Applied essential addon: CoreDNS
error execution phase addon/kube-proxy: error when creating kube-proxy service account: unable to create serviceaccount: client rate limiter Wait returned an error: context deadline exceeded
To see the stack trace of this error execute with --v=5 or higher

I've tried creating the .kube directory with my non-root user. Some of the kube-system pods start up, but calico and coreDns obviously don't work. kubeadm init works just fine, but then I won't have any of the networking set up.

I'm following all the steps on VM's running locally on my machine, so I'm assuming there might be some updates to the dependencies we installed earlier since the course materials were made. Any help troubleshooting this issue?

Comments

• Hi ! I have same issue ! Exactly same.
    My OS : ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS ( server edition)
    I've tried with the last debian and i've the same issue.

I work on virtualbox 6.1. The promiscious mode is allow for all.
    Firewall on os is disabled.

I am blocked ..

• For complete, I went further.

I skip the installation of kube-proxy like this

kubeadm init --config=kubeadm-config.yaml --upload-certs --skip-phases=addon/kube-proxy \
    | tee kubeadm-init.out

The installation will be fine.
    After that, i will install kube-proxy like this

kubeadm init phase addon kube-proxy \
    --control-plane-endpoint="my-hostname:6443" \
    --pod-network-cidr="MY_CIDR"

I'have that :

I0116 21:50:32.971041    1370 version.go:255] remote version is much newer: v1.26.0; falling back to: stable-1.24
    error execution phase addon/kube-proxy: error when creating kube-proxy service account: unable to create serviceaccount: Post "https://MY-HOSTNAME:6443/api/v1/namespaces/kube-system/serviceaccounts?timeout=10s": dial tcp MY-IP:6443: connect: connection refused
    To see the stack trace of this error execute with --v=5 or higher

• Thanks for your comment @steve.decot. I was able to use your method to get the kubeadm init command to complete successfully. I think the kube-proxy is dependent upon something else starting up, because I was able to use your method by omitting the kube-proxy addon first, and then waiting a few moments before applying the addon. I think your error is coming from not specifying the correct version (I tried not using the config file, and adding the configuration explicitly as flags in the init command):

kubeadm init --pod-network-cidr=10.10.0.0/16 --kubernetes-version=1.24.1 --control-plane-endpoint=k8scp:6443 --upload-certs --skip-phases=addon/kube-proxy | tee kubeadm-init.out

After the first initialize was run I then tried adding the addon (and it worked):

kubeadm init phase addon kube-proxy --pod-network-cidr=10.10.0.0/16 --kubernetes-version=1.24.1 --control-plane-endpoint=k8scp:6443

I'm still experiencing the underlying issue, that the cluster wasn't spinning the system pods up successfully, and they are constantly taking turns going from a Running state to a CrashLoopBackOff state. I think there is something with the networking of the pods, since I noticed that almost all of the system pods are running on the same host IP (the same IP address I added to the hosts file with k8scp alias). I should also say that I had an issue with the control plane node not going into a Readystate due to some No Scheduletaints, and I was only able to get it working by removing those taints:

kubectl taint nodes cp node-role.kubernetes.io/master- node-role.kubernetes.io/control-plane- node.kubernetes.io/not-ready-

Here's my cluster trying to start up and the different pod's IPs:

NAMESPACE     NAME                                       READY   STATUS             RESTARTS         AGE     IP             NODE   NOMINATED NODE   READINESS GATES
    kube-system   calico-kube-controllers-55fc758c88-n4pbq   0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   4 (16s ago)      117s    10.10.242.78   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   calico-node-l2c85                          1/1     Running            3 (82s ago)      117s    192.168.64.8   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   coredns-6d4b75cb6d-56kzv                   1/1     Running            2 (96s ago)      4m47s   10.10.242.72   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   coredns-6d4b75cb6d-qj4qs                   0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   3 (37s ago)      4m47s   10.10.242.77   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   etcd-cp                                    1/1     Running            28 (3m7s ago)    5m36s   192.168.64.8   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   kube-apiserver-cp                          1/1     Running            30 (5m5s ago)    5m37s   192.168.64.8   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   kube-controller-manager-cp                 1/1     Running            42 (3m23s ago)   4m      192.168.64.8   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   kube-proxy-k7rht                           0/1     Error              3 (108s ago)     4m47s   192.168.64.8   cp     <none>           <none>
    kube-system   kube-scheduler-cp                          0/1     CrashLoopBackOff   35 (41s ago)     3m55s   192.168.64.8   cp     <none>           <none>

• Hi @cbperkins .
    The issue comes with my version of ubuntu. The last one...
    I retry with this version :

lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS Release: 20.04 Codename: focal

And it's work ! .

I don't want you to go through what I went through.

Here are all the commands to install your cluster ---> https://gitlab.com/steve.decot/k8s-install/-/blob/main/README.md

I hope everything will be fine for you

Have good nigh / day

Steve Decot

• Hey @steve.decot . Thanks for the tip! I was running Ubuntu 20.04.1 and that was indeed the problem. I upgraded to 20.04.5 like you suggested and everything is ready and running now. Appreciate the help.

Chris

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @steve.decot,

The lab guide calls for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, and the labs exercises have been compiled and tested on that OS version. Other OS versions may introduce dependency issues which have not been tested and resolved just yet.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training