Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS261 DevOps has 0% searchable content and is highly useless in video format

Until you will get a real pro with the DevOps you Will need to search the course for specific content to help with your tasks.
From this point of view, the course is at the moment useless due to the fact that there is no searchable content. There is just a sequence of videos which are hard to follow and useless for effective searching of content. This is the same useless format used on Udemy and sold for very low prices.
Please understand the need to provide a text version of this course LFS261 DevOps just like all the other courses offered by the Linux Foundation.

Comments

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

@NicolaeIotu Thank you for sharing your input regarding the content delivery method for LFS261. However, we have to keep in mind that there are various types of learning styles, as well as multiple ways to deliver content. What works for you may not work for somebody else, and the other way around, but that does not diminish its value, or make it useless. We will keep this in mind when working on future courses.
    Regards,
    Flavia
    The Linux Foundation Training Team

• @NicolaeIotu
    The content in the videos is searchable in the PDF labs.
    Have you tried that?

@fcioanca
    I don't find the videos hard to follow at all, even at 1.75-2x speed.
    It's nice not to have to scrolling and clicking through the content to read everything.

All of the courses can be improved, but I for one have enjoyed LFS261 more than the others I have taken.

• @fcioanca
    I have been skipping ahead to open the PDF for reference while going through the videos.
    I like that there are fewer PDFs with more content compared to some other courses.
    Perhaps if each video page included a link to the PDF material it would help students who are not already keeping a copy open?

Alternatively, adding the relevant material in HTML would be more useful when copy/paste is required.

• dunzek
    dunzek Posts: 1

I disagree. If you need to search for specific content, that's what Google is for.

The course is fine. Like, @danielclough I've enjoyed LFS261 more than the others I took. Gourav Shah is a good teacher.

• I'm reaching chapter 10 in the course, and I need to disagree with @NicolaeIotu This is one of the best courses I have got. Handwriting slides + PDF 233 searchable pages ( Which is always updated, last update 16-May-2022) are very good.

Instructor "Gourav Shah" is great in DevOps, and I'm learning a lot.

My recommendation will be just giving yourself a chance and dig deep into the course then decide, this won't be useless at all.

• gouravshah
    gouravshah Posts: 139

@dunzek @ashraf.fouad I am glad that you are enjoying the course and find value in it.

@NicolaeIotu thanks for sharing this feedback. As @fcioanca mentioned, different folks have different learning as well as delivery styles. Also, we have had similar feedback from few other students as well and have been working on iteratively to change my style of delivery. For example, for the newer courses that I have authored have text + video content both. Even for this course we have added text description with the labs which are available as PDF documents.

@danielclough has found the right trick :smile: to search the PDFs.

My efforts are to give as much value to all of you and to anyone who takes this course and I will attempt to iteratively improve this course, which would also mean more text content in future updates.

Again, thanks for sharing the inputs/feedbacks on what works and what does not. It would definitely help up improve this course.

• @gouravshah I'm kinda confused. I'm enrolled in the LFS261 course and can't find any video. Am I accessing the right course? :smiley:

• mstepien
    mstepien Posts: 410

Hi @walentino77,

The course content has been recently updated and it is now text-based.

Regards,
    Magda
    The Linux Foundation Training Team

• @walentino77 yes. As Magda mentioned, this course is been updated, this time using the text format to make it more searchable and easier to maintain.

Categories

Upcoming Training