Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

06. Integrating GitHub with Jenkins to Set Up Webhook-Based Triggers

I would like to ask for a best practice solution on how to integrate my Jenkins server with Github Webhook. As I am unable to do a build trigger from my Github after every push.

ERROR: failed to connect to host.

I am aware that the issue is the Jenkins URL I provided to the webhook, which contains the localhost IP because my Jenkins server is hosted on my docker, which is situated in a VM on my machine.

So my question is:-
How do you give the Jenkins server hosted locally on my VM, a public IP, in other to allow for a build trigger from GitHub whenever an event is pushed?

Comments

• @luisviveropena, can you pls assist?

• Hi bro ... I think this forum has a very low reply rate, I think the best way to get someone to answer is to tag luis and gourav.

Could you please post a pic of your repository webhook settings on your github account? or could you share your github account? you could also share response of the request that fails. I am assuming that you configured everything right on your jenkins server .. as you can see, I had the same problem, but I managed to solve it by using this payload URL (You just need to add a '/' at the end):

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/github-webhook/

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,144
    edited October 2022

Hi @rowlandr71,

How do you give the Jenkins server hosted locally on my VM, a public IP, in other to allow for a build trigger from GitHub whenever an event is pushed?

Well, that's not too easy to achieve if it's a VM. But we have good documentation in the Jenkins website to "Triggering builds with webhooks behind a secure firewall ", and that can help a lot:

https://www.jenkins.io/blog/2019/01/07/webhook-firewalls/

Of course that will help if you are working on a bare metal system that's connected to the local network. For a VM you can try with a bridged network device, but I can't guarantee that's going to work (because I haven't tested it).

Regards,
    Luis.

• @rowlandr71 you can not use a webhook unless you manage to get a Public IP (Static/Dynamic) and then manage to do a port forwarding configuration on your router.

The other way to get this to work is to host your Jenkins on the cloud with the public IP (e.g. Digital Ocean, AWS, Azure).

• Hi,

The LAB guide said what you could use in that situation, in my case I chose ngrok, you need to create a free account, download the ngrok, and run It, the downside is that every time you run the ngrok command it generates a new URL, so you need to change often the webhook config in your GitHub.

• Hi @jlargaespada , it seems that's a limitation of the Ngrok free version.

Regards,
    Luis.

• @rowlandr71 ngrok way to go!
    Else, create a vm on GCP/AWS for testing & delete after testing’s done.

Categories

Upcoming Training