Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

FSF or Linux Foundation

I feel like such a noob for asking this, but i just cant seem to figure it out for myself. So i have to chase my pride away and just ask.

My question is if it is "ok" or "accepted" to support both the FSF and Linux Foundation. By "ok" and "accepted" i mean in the sense it would not be like saying you are an atheist and a christian. If you get what i mean?

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The Linux foundations lists their goal as:

The Linux Foundation promotes, protects and standardizes Linux by providing unified resources and services needed for open source to successfully compete with closed platforms.

The FSF lists their goal as:

The FSF advocates for free software ideals as outlined in the Free Software Definition, works for adoption of free software and free media formats, and organizes activist campaigns against threats to user freedom like Windows 7, Apple's iPhone and OS X, DRM on ebooks and movies, and software patents.

Both Organizations have to goal to push for the adoption of free and open source software, the definitions slightly differ, but the goal is the same. I think it is acceptable to support both because the goals of both are in the best interest of competition and technological advancement,
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I am a supporting ($$) member of both organizations. They serve different, but complimentary, purposes.

Categories

Upcoming Training