Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Doubt regarding lab 44.4

When working on lab 44.4, precisely the table restoring part (exercise 4), I could not do it because my root directory was in the sda disk. Thus, I could not mount /dev/sda without the backup file information. Only after creating a backup copy of the gpt table in a USB driver was I able to restore the system. In this regard, my doubt is:

• Is the root directory in another driver or inside /dev/sda in the lab's exercise? In the latter case, how can I restore the partition table information since I can't mount the disk without this information? For this lab, I used the gpt scheme.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hi @iri36, are you working on a bare metal system or on a VM? For GPT systems there is a note in the PDF for that lab:

The following instructions for an MBR system. if you have GPT you need to use sgdisk with the --backup-file and --load-backup options as discussed in the partitioning chapter

Regards,
    Luis.

• Hi @luisviveropena,

I'm working with a VM with Ubuntu 20.04 in VirtualBox. I used sgdisk with --backup and --load-backup as suggested in the lab. My problem was that the backup file was created in the /home dir which was in the dev/sda and after deleting the partition table, I could not mount the device and therefore could not access my backup file. BTW, in the GPT system, how do I delete the GPT table? I used "sgdisk --clear /dev/sda" but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Thanks!

• Hi @iri36,

I'm working with a VM with Ubuntu 20.04 in VirtualBox. I used sgdisk with --backup and --load-backup as suggested in the lab. My problem was that the backup file was created in the /home dir which was in the dev/sda and after deleting the partition table, I could not mount the device and therefore could not access my backup file.

Oh, hehehe, I see. So you need to save the backup file to another place and partition. If /tmp is a separated partition, you can put it there, or to any other partition that can work for this purpose.

BTW, in the GPT system, how do I delete the GPT table? I used "sgdisk --clear /dev/sda" but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Thanks!

Per the man page you are correct:

-o, --clear
    Clear out all partition data. This includes GPT header data, all partition definitions, and the protective MBR.

Regards,
    Luis.

• Thanks, @luisviveropena!!!

• It's a pleasure @iri36!!

Categories

Upcoming Training