Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

02. Knowledge check doubt

Options

Question 2.5
According to Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), which top level directory **(under /, such as /tmp, not /tmp/other) **should contain Linux kernel modules (dynamically loaded and unloaded extensions for the kernel)?

In the contents it clearly states that:
Kernel modules (often device or filesystem drivers) are located under /lib/modules/.

So i dont know why the answer is /lib since that kernel modules are not there but in other level

Answers

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

I don't understand your point --> /lib/modulesis under /lib . just like /home/student is under/home in an earllier question. The question and answer are framed just fine as best I can see. (just as there are many subdirectories under/var and/etc in previous questions)

• jmescolargarcia
    jmescolargarcia Posts: 3
    edited August 2022
    Options

the question is "which top level directory should contain Linux kernel modules". The question is not "which top level directory contains subdirectories which contain Linux Kernel modules". the part saying: "which top level directory (under /, such as /tmp, not /tmp/other)" made me think that it only refer to the top level directory, not sublevels.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

the knowledge check questions are only pointing to the top level, and it doesn't matter if you have to walk the tree some to place things. Note none of the correct answers for the other questions point to lower directories, even though all log files are in /var/log and config files can be in subdirectories such as /etc/systemd or /etc/sudoers.d or /etc/gdm ... etc. You are just not parsing the question properly. If there was a problem with the /lib/modules question that would exist for several of the other knowledge check questions.

• jmescolargarcia
    Options

ok, got it. Thank you

Categories

Upcoming Training