Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Error during Lab 2.2. Deploy a New Cluster

When attempting to deploy the new cluster to the master, I get the below error. Seems the code is no longer good for creating a new cluster and needs to be updated?

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libatasmart4 libblockdev-fs2 libblockdev-loop2 libblockdev-part-err2
libblockdev-part2 libblockdev-swap2 libblockdev-utils2 libblockdev2
libmm-glib0 libnspr4 libnss3 libnuma1 libparted-fs-resize0 libudisks2-0
usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
kubeadm kubectl kubelet
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 downgraded, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
E: Packages were downgraded and -y was used without --allow-downgrades.
W0519 22:05:50.244742 26403 common.go:83] your configuration file uses a deprecated API spec: "kubeadm.k8s.io/v1beta2". Please use 'kubeadm config migrate --old-config old.yaml --new-config new.yaml', which will write the new, similar spec using a newer API version.
W0519 22:05:50.245427 26403 common.go:83] your configuration file uses a deprecated API spec: "kubeadm.k8s.io/v1beta2". Please use 'kubeadm config migrate --old-config old.yaml --new-config new.yaml', which will write the new, similar spec using a newer API version.
[init] Using Kubernetes version: v1.23.1
[preflight] Running pre-flight checks
error execution phase preflight: [preflight] Some fatal errors occurred:
[ERROR CRI]: container runtime is not running: output: time="2022-05-19T22:05:52Z" level=fatal msg="connect: connect endpoint 'unix:///var/run/crio/crio.sock', make sure you are running as root and the endpoint has been started: context deadline exceeded"
, error: exit status 1
[ERROR KubeletVersion]: the kubelet version is higher than the control plane version. This is not a supported version skew and may lead to a malfunctional cluster. Kubelet version: "1.24.0" Control plane version: "1.23.1"
[preflight] If you know what you are doing, you can make a check non-fatal with --ignore-preflight-errors=...
To see the stack trace of this error execute with --v=5 or higher
Running the steps explained at the end of the init output for you
cp: cannot stat '/etc/kubernetes/admin.conf': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/home/student/.kube/config': No such file or directory
Apply Calico network plugin from ProjectCalico.org
If you see an error they may have updated the yaml file
Use a browser, navigate to the site and find the updated file
The connection to the server localhost:8080 was refused - did you specify the right host or port?

Comments

• guarddog
    guarddog Posts: 2

My temp workaround for this was to comment out installing podman and buildah (Line 123)

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @guarddog,

The podman installation steps have changed recently. I was able to mix steps from podman's official installation instructions, with several blog posts, to a sequence of steps that may help to get it installed in preparation for Lab 3, where podman is used to build a container image, run the container, and also interact with a registry.

To install podman, as a non-root user execute the following sequence:

. /etc/os-release

echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/kubic:/libcontainers:/stable/xUbuntu_${VERSION_ID}/ /" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devel:kubic:libcontainers:stable.list

curl -L "https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/kubic:/libcontainers:/stable/xUbuntu_${VERSION_ID}/Release.key" | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade -y

sudo apt install -y gnupg2

sudo apt install -y podman

sudo apt install -y podman --fix-missing

If the installation errors persist, re-run the following sequence:

sudo apt install -y podman

Regards,
    -Chris

• Hi @chrispokorni ,

I faced the same issue and followed all your steps. Still, I'm facing the issue. I have attached the cp.out. Could you please advise? Thanks

• chrispokorni

Hi @mahmoud.mikaeili,

Please be more specific and provide some descriptive details about the "same issue" you are trying to report. The attached output file does not show any of the errors reported earlier...

Regards,
    -Chris

• Hi @chrispokorni ,

I am running the lab on AWS. I followed the instructions and faced a Fatal Error "kublet version is higher than the control plane." You can find a screenshot here.

Also, the complete cp. out log is enclosed. Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks.

• chrispokorni

Hi @mahmoud.mikaeili,

If you play close attention to the error, it tells you that the kubelet version is 1.24.2, while the control plane version is 1.23.1.

Is there any reason for the version mismatch? The lab guide is calling for Kubernetes version 1.23.1 - for all three components: kubeadm, kubelet, and kubectl. The installation scripts and helper files from the SOLUTIONS tarball are calling for Kubernetes version 1.23.1.

Please follow the lab guide and install the correct version.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training