Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

May I use wsl 1 (ubuntu) for all the operations in this course

Options

Hello, everyone. I am using Win 10 WSL 1 (Ubuntu) for all the operations described in this course. Now I am compiling the kernel via command > $make -j3 all
I want to know whether it is OK to use this environment because I'm afraid some features or functions don't work as mentioned in the course since it is not a complete independent Linux system.

Answers

• ShuahKhanLF
    ShuahKhanLF Posts: 148
    Options

The work in this class doesn't require any specific Linux distro

• jason2022
    jason2022 Posts: 4
    Options

Let me close this question.

Yes, it works, but only in wsl2. And there are slightly different steps involving rebooting. There is no grub or MOK manager in WSL2. You need to manually replace the kernel image with what you generated in the make.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

If you need to be on a Windows system, you'll get more bang for your buck with a hypervisor such as vmware or Virtual Box and a full up to date Linux environment, and I can confirm that WSL1 generally will waste a bunch of your time. (WSL2 is better but is not always possible.) As you said, you also don't have the MOK stuff etc and will have other limitations with a hypervisor, so a physical system with any recent full featured distribution is always a better experience. I personally have only found that WSL is OK for working on non GUI applications etc, but for kernel stuff it is a square peg in a round hole type of things :wink:

Categories

Upcoming Training