Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

lost root password

Yes i know you are all saying what a dork, is there any way for me to retrieve or cancel existing password as i have lost the one setup when purchased.

Now trying to install a mobile dongle from Three and need to configure. Any help would be apreciated.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It depending on your chosen distribution, the options differ based upon the security used in your distribution. Please respond stating whta distro you use.
  • You'll need to use a live-cd/dvd and boot to that. If your hard drive is encrypted, and you did the encryption correctly - well then your "boned". If the partition your root drive is in is not encrypted, then follow this link. I had to do this with one of my VirtualBox installs.
  • Many thanks for your help.
  • Many thanks for your response to my problem, The netbook that i am using is a Acer Aspire one. Operating Software is Limpus Linux Lite v1.0.7.E. The system runs perfectly, however, my problem started when i wanted to install a USB mobile stick which do not work easily with Linux. Through the fourm i was told to enter the root password and make some changes, hence my problem.

At start-up using F2 to enter the setup utility i see the following information within the security section

Supervisory password Is: Clear
    User Password Is: Clear
    HDD Password Is: Clear

Power on Password is dsabled

As the supervisors password was clear i entered a new password and saved, would this now be my root password?

Thanks
  • Many thanks for all ypur support, I am now able to enter root by using my new password, I guess it was never set up, now all i need to do is find out how to configure the Huawei E156G USB modem.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Is the problem with the password fixed? It sounds to me like when you hit F2 you enter the BIOS settings, which is not related to your Operating System passwords.

Categories

Upcoming Training