Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Need to DL wireless program

So today is my first day using ubuntu; I partitioned my HD for Windows XP (which I am currently on) and Ubuntu.

1) I can't get on to the wireless network. For the windows side, I had to DL a driver for my wireless card so that it can recognize the router and set up that way; windows works, ubuntu doesn't. When I log into Ubuntu, wireless doesnt work no matter what I do, and when I try to open up that same program I get a bunch of error codes. Ideas?

2) Once I get the wireless taken care of this should fix itself, BUT when I created an account on the email program (evolution is it?) it never asked me for a password to my Gmail account. I gave it the other info, servers, user name, etc but it never asked me for my Gmail password so that I could sign in under Gmail.

I've done searches in various threads for these topics...so if this is a re-post just guide me in the right direction. I like the ubuntu format so far; tryin to get used to it and some other things like desktop and such I'm trying to adjust but aren't workin so well. But I'll learn that all in time once I get my feet wet.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    First things first....Do you know what wireless card you are using?
    If you don't, go to a terminal in Ubuntu, I'm sorry I don't have an Ubuntu install handy, but it is in the menu's under System or Administration. Just look for Terminal, open it up, and past the output of lspci here.

[GoinEasy9@linuxbox ~]$ lspci (it will look something like this, hit enter, and give us the output.)
  • It's a US Robotics MaxG wireless card, working on the Apple Airport. I'm not sure of the model number of the card though, but I'll have to look at that.
    I have windows partitioned and ubuntu partitioned...how can I alternate between the two without having the system boot from Ubuntu at start-up? Is there a way where I can tab over to the windows partition while I'm still in Ubuntu so that I can copy/paste the reply? Because without windows, I can't get online obviously.

Thanks
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    The line from my lspci that shows my wireless card looks like this:
    06:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    That is the only line that we need to see. No need to copy and paste all of lspci. Even if your card is different than mine, it should still have the word wireless in it.
    See if "lspci | grep wireless" (without quotes) narrows it down for you.

You can't move between the two OS's on a dual boot setup. You always have to reboot to change. You can however save the output to a file, then read that file when Ubuntu boots up, but, that requires mounting a windows partition. Lets see if we can get your wireless card working first.

Categories

Upcoming Training